Stacking The Shelves | Alexia's Books and Such: Stacking The Shelves

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Stacking The Shelves


I find myself in need of a new way to showcase titles, so am "test driving" different alternatives. I like giving books a little special attention as sometimes it can be awhile before I'm able to review them. Sad to say, but some get put on the shelf and gather a little dust before I'm able to give them the love they deserve.

This week's test drive is with Stacking the Shelves, hosted by Tynga at Tynga's Reviews. I really enjoy Tynga's blog and love that she includes updates about her new baby, who is just the sweetest thing! Too cute!

For Review:

Received an offer to review this book from the author. While I've really cut back on the number of review requests I'm accepting in my hopeless quest to whittle my TBR pile down to manageable size, this one sounded too unique and interesting to turn down!

 
by Kristine Ong Muslim

We Bury the Landscape is an exhibition of literary art. Ekphrasis, collected. One hundred flash fictions and prose poems presented to view. From the visual to the textual, transmuting before the gallery-goer’s gaze, the shifting contours of curator Kristine Ong Muslim’s surreal panorama delineate the unconventional, the unexpected, and the unnatural. Traversing this visionary vista’s panoply of “rooms of unfinished lives,” the reader unearths and examines and reanimates - revealing the transcendent uncanniness that subsists underfoot.

***

This was a nice surprise from William Morrow! I thought that they didn't mail out surprises any more, but any day that there's a book waiting on my doorstep is a good day! This one sounds intriguing, and the synopsis reminds me of The Slap.

by Christopher Wakling

"This is a story about a terrible thing which happens to me. I have to warn you that nobody is bad or good here, or rather everyone is a bit bad and a bit good and the bad and the good moluscules get mixed up against each other and produce terrible chemical reactions. Did you know cheetahs cannot retract their claws?"


What did you receive this week?
Leave me a link and I'll be sure to stop by to check them out!

15 comments:

  1. Great week Alexia. It looks like you had an interesting selection of titles.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am especially intrigued by We Bury the Landscape!

      Delete
  2. I actually haven't heard of any of these books but I hope you enjoy them! :) The cover of What I Did looks so cute!

    Check out my Stacking the Shelves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like an interesting read, so hope I'll have a chance to read it soon!

      Delete
  3. What I did sounds very intriguing. Hope you enjoy them. I love surprises like that.

    New Follower

    My STS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprise books are my favorite! :)

      Delete
  4. Is it bad that I don't entirely understand what We Bury The Landscape is about?? Sounds like you got two very unique books this week. Looking forward to these reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From my understanding, it's mostly flash fiction and poetry. It does have a confusing description, doesn't it? Will let you know once I read it!

      Delete
  5. I agree finding an unexpected book waiting on your doorstep does indeed equal a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Surprise books are always fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice feature! Hadn't heard of this one, but love the name....same can be said of the second title there. That cover is certainly interesting(and yes, book surprises ROCK!)! Happy reading....can't wait to hear your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even you got more than me. It's kind of hard when you get a big fat nothing. Does Vermont choclate count? Sigh. C'est la vie. This week promises to be no better, but the next week. Well, the next week I am expecting at least a couple of books.
    Enjoy, P!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do hope you enjoy your new reads and have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u