Monday, July 2, 2012

Review: Why We Broke Up

by Daniel Handler

I'm telling you why we broke up, Ed. I'm writing it in this letter, the whole truth of why it happened.

My Thoughts:
This is one of those books that made me realize that I need a plot. I need a reason to continue reading a story, so need something to move the story forward. There was nothing really wrong with this book, but I was left scratching my head at the end of it wondering what just happened. I need a plot.

Min and Ed broke up. Min had a box full of mementos from their time together, which she is returning to Ed. She is also writing a letter, explaining each item in the box. Each chapter discusses one of the items. That's it. Hence, the head scratching.

If nothing else, the story is unique.

I didn't really like Min, who is supposed to be different and artsy and her own person, but I got the impression that she was also pretty. Why do main characters always have to be pretty? Why can't they be artsy and different and average looking, but the love interest adores them for their uniqueness and thinks that they're beautiful? pffft

Anyway, I kept reading this because I held out hope that something would happen. Anything. That the entire book wasn't just an inventory of the souvenirs and their stories. I was disappointed. And to be honest, I still don't know why they got together, much less why they broke up.....

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like this has very little to recommend it. Though not as important to me as the characters, the plot never the less has to at least be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've discovered that no matter how interesting the characters, I still need a plot. But at the same time, I want interesting characters too. I am greedy!

      Delete
  2. Is it at least written in a funny way? I could get into a bitter break up rant book as they tend to be humorous. But a book just about love inventory alone probably isn't my kinda thing. Granted it's a very unique concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can read almost anything if it's written in a funny way, but this one didn't strike me as all that humorous. I know others loved it, but it just wasn't for me. :(

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry you didn't like this one. I'm still dying to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will keep an eye out for your review, as I wonder if I totally missed the point or something, as I've read rave reviews on this one that left me scratching my head.

      Delete
  4. Ooh...that sounded unpleasant. *-* Still, I may have to read it one day just to join you in the head scratching if nothing else...thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If nothing else, I got a good head scratching out of this one! *L*

      Delete
  5. LOL! Everyone keeps raving about this one. About how beautiful it is with all the pictures and what high quality paper it uses...Funny that they never really have much to say about the actual plot. I guess now I know why. Hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it did have lovely heavy paper....is that worth another star? *L*

      Delete
  6. Disappointing to be sure. Too bad you posted your review after I went and purchased the dang thing. Still, I may skim through. I have too many books to read to spend time on something I'm not going to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete