My Book Haul (2) | Alexia's Books and Such: My Book Haul (2)
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. ~Douglas Adams

Saturday, July 28, 2012

My Book Haul (2)

I was in need of a new way to showcase titles, so was taking various candidates on "test drives" the past few weeks. Finally decided that My Book Haul seems like a good fit. I like giving books a little special attention as sometimes it can be awhile before I'm able to review them. Sad to say, but some get put on the shelf and gather a little dust before I'm able to give them the love they deserve.

This is a few week's worth of books, as I was on a short sabbatical...

For Review:

This was a nice surprise to find on my doorstep! I met the author at the pre-BEA HarperCollins party and was impressed that he was not only a Dr. Who fan, but also loved Neil Gaiman! We had a nice chat, and I made a note to buy his book when it came out as it sounded so intriguing. Plus, he's a fellow geek, and we need to support each other!

by Michael Boccacino

Love the author's Twitter description for his book:  Think of it as 2 cups Jane Eyre, 6 oz of Lovecraft, and a tbsp of Tim Burton. Serve with ice cream.

***

Was contacted by TLC Book Tours about a review offer for a short story to be included with one of Debbie Macomber's books. I enjoy Debbie's books and love short stories, so thought I'd give this one a shot.
Family Affair by Debbie Macomber
with
The Bet by Darlene Panzera

***
This is the one that got away. Tried several times, but was always too late to snag a copy at BEA this year. Was very, very happy that Edelweiss approved my request for a review copy!

What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang

Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else - two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t…

***

This was a nice surprise in my mailbox, as I have no record of requesting it and it's not my usual sort of read. Karma brought it to my doorstep, so I'll give it a look.

by Kiana Davenport

Thrust into the savagery of the Civil War, a Chinese immigrant serving in the Union Army, a nurse doubling as a spy for the North, and a one-armed Confederate cavalryman find their lives inextricably entwined.

***

This showed up on my doorstep with no note and no explanation. The book gods are being good to me this month!

Stolen Prey
by John Sandford

Lucas Davenport has seen many terrible murder scenes. This is one of the worst. In the small Minnesota town of Deephaven, an entire family has been killed - husband, wife, two daughters, dogs.

There’s something about the scene that pokes at Lucas’s cop instincts - it looks an awful lot like the kind of scorched-earth retribution he’s seen in drug killings sometimes. But this is a seriously upscale town, and the husband was an executive vice president at a big bank. It just doesn’t seem to fit. Until it does. And where it leads Lucas will take him into the darkest nightmare of his life.

***

Lori Foster is an old favorite, so couldn't say no when I was asked if I wanted to take part in her latest online book tour!

by Lori Foster

Nothing can shake a cop from pursuing justice-except a beautiful witness marked for death, in New York Times bestselling author Lori Foster's sexy new series...

What did you receive this week?


7 comments:

  1. i will have to look into the charlotte markham book. i got run the risk last week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My review of Charlotte Markham is posting next week, and to give a hint, I really enjoyed it. Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your mix of reads. It always adds interest when the genres are so varied.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And what a great haul it is. Loving both the look and sound of Charlotte Markham and the House of Darkling

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice haul. I know some books were so quickly snatched up at BEA. Great haul. Come visit me as well.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice collection this week. :) Hope you have a great week dear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice haul! First one is on my "check out" list...third one is a curiosity for me as well. Fifth one...I use to read his work all the time...in need of some serious catching up in the PREY series though on my part.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u