Review: Wolf Signs by Vivian Arend | Alexia's Books and Such...: Review: Wolf Signs by Vivian Arend

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, June 25, 2012

Review: Wolf Signs by Vivian Arend

Wolf Signs by Vivian Arend

Robyn Maxwell doesn't care that her brother has to cancel out on their back country ski trip. She can do it alone. The fact she's deaf doesn't make her survival skills any weaker. The chance to get away from it all and relax in the Yukon wilderness is just what she's been craving. Meeting wilderness guide Keil at the cabin starts cravings of another kind. Keil's one hot hunk of ripped, tasty male. Now she has to deal with raging hormones as well as strange questions about wolves and mates and challenges to the death.

Keil was trying for a nice reflective retreat before challenging for the Alpha position of his Alaskan pack. He wasn't planning on meeting the woman destined to be his mate, or finding out she's not aware she has the genes of a wolf. Between dealing with his accident-prone younger brother, a deaf mate with an attitude and an impending duel to the death, his week - and his bed - is suddenly full. Far from the relaxing getaway any of them had in mind....

My Thoughts:

Saw this title featured over at The Book Vixen's My Bookish Wants & Gots and she was nice enough to let me know if was a free eBook when I mentioned that it sounded awesome.

Love the whole idea of a deaf werewolf, who had no idea that she was a werewolf! Sad to say that the story didn't live up to my expectations. Robyn was a little too accepting of learning that not only are werewolves real, but that she's a werewolf too! And oh yeah, hunky stranger is destined to be her mate so it's okay to sleep together immediately. Sure she was surprised at first by the werewolf thing, then it was all no big deal. Um, really? I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure I would need a little more time to process all that new information!

I had a few other problems with the story, aside from Robyn's easy acceptance. The issue of her being deaf wasn't really addressed. Apparently she's a champion lip-reader and surprise! As mates, Robyn and Keil had no problem communicating. Really? Wouldn't being deaf be more of an obstacle? It was almost a non-issue, like the color of her hair or what she did for a living. I was sort of looking forward to it being a more interesting aspect of the story. And while Robyn started out as a strong, self-sufficient woman, that part of her seemed to disappear once she found her man.

Aside from being a short read (less than 100 pages), I found myself skimming the sex scenes. The author used a few words that I just don't like and don't think belong in writing. I might be a prude, but I don't like sex scenes using offensive (to me) language. And does anyone really talk like that during sex? Outside of bad movies, I don't think so! Really ruined that part of the story for me.

Gave this one a 2/5 as I liked the premise and thought it was an original idea, but it was too short, problems were too easily solved, and it had some offensive (to me) language. It's book one in the Granite Lake Wolves series. Others have loved this series but, based on this book, it's not for me. At least it was free!


eBook from my personal library

10 comments:

  1. Sorry that this one wasn't everything it could have been as it sounds like a fun alternative read to the usual werewolf story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gave the author points for a great idea, I just wasn't happy with the execution.

      Delete
  2. I don't know why but your review cracked me up. I love the honesty. I am a sucker for a werewolf plot but I think I might stay away from this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love werewolf stories too, so my expectations might have been a little high. Still disappointing...

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, yeah, why put the whole deaf thing in there if it wasn't an obstacle? I really hate when MCs are way too quick to believe crazy things! Drive me nuts! But, as you said, at least it was free. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Should have been more of an issue than "oh yeah, she can't hear but it's okay because we're magically connected"! Really?

      Delete
  4. Wow...a deaf werewolf? That's got to present a challenge, I mean they depend on their hearing a lot, right? Ah, the early acceptance issue...yeah, had that with a book not so long ago. Oh well, better luck next read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, wolves rely on their sense of smell and hearing, so a deaf werewolf should present more of a problem. Maybe the rest of the series deals with this, but I think I'm done.

      Delete
  5. Bummer. Sorry it didn't live up for you. But yes, the deaf werewolf sounds like a neat take. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was a great concept, just wish she had explored it a little more instead of making it a non-issue.

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u