Review: The Hunter and the Hunted by Kelley Armstrong | Alexia's Books and Such: Review: The Hunter and the Hunted by Kelley Armstrong

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Review: The Hunter and the Hunted by Kelley Armstrong

The Hunter and the Hunted by Kelley Armstrong

Just weeks before the final installment in the Otherworld series, Thirteen, goes on sale, the publisher is releasing the first-ever eSpecial from Kelley Armstrong, The Hunter and The Hunted. It includes two short stories - Stalked and Off-Duty Angel - as well as an exclusive and extensive first look at Thirteen.
My Thoughts:
Kelley's Otherworld series is one of my favorites, so was very excited to see that there was an eSpecial with two short stories and an excerpt for the last book in the series! There was much rejoicing in my house that day! Since it's only three stories, I'll give a brief recap of each one:

STALKED:
This was previously published in My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon and I had already read it, but it was a nice reread. Elena and Clay are one of my favorite urban fantasy couples! And being Elena and Clay, they can't have a normal honeymoon! Bored by the lack of anything to do but not wanting to disappoint the other, things take an interesting turn when a mutt (non-pack werewolf) starts sniffing around. Elena and Clay take matters into their own hands, learn to communicate a little better, and wind up having a good time after all. Love these two!

OFF-DUTY ANGEL:
This was a new story for me, featuring half-demon, part-time angel Eve Levine. Boredom plays a part in this story as well as Eve has some time off, but since her lover is busy, Eve is bored. I don't really like it when strong women are bored without their boy toys (not that Kristof is a boy toy!), but sort of understand where Eve is coming from.

As a favor to Kristof, she starts following a shaman who may or may not be important to Kristof's latest court case. Things take an interesting turn when she stumbles into a secret dimensional passage at the British Museum. (I never stumble into secret dimensions at museums. Would make museums a lot more palatable! Just saying) Suddenly things get a whole lot more interesting and Eve is no longer bored! Really enjoyed watching Eve work! And liked seeing her interactions with her angelic partner Tsriel. Really fun short story!

THIRTEEN:
This will be published July 24th, 2012 and I'm already counting down the days!

This picks up right where the last book left off. Literally. Savannah and her brother are stumbling away from the headquarters where Bryce was being held captive. Leaving Bryce with Jeremy and Adam, Savannah and Jaime head off to find dry clothes. Picked up by the police as suspects in the bombing, Savannah knows that something isn't right.

Thrown into jail, Jaime gets sick. Things go from bad to worse and suddenly they need to fight for their lives! I got sucked into the story immediately and am on the edge of my seat, impatiently waiting to read the rest!

There's a war coming, and Savannah and friends are going to need to gear up in preparation.

Really enjoyed this excerpt, and love how it picked up right where we left off so there's no wondering what happened. While sad that the series is coming to an end, this one sounds like it's going to be a great send-off to an awesome series! And I really hope that Kelley will revisit the series every now and again so we can watch the twins grow up, see if Adam and Savannah ever get together, and revisit all of our old friends.

You can purchase this eSpecial from Barnes & Noble.com, Amazon, or directly from Penguin.

10 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these books and feel like I am totally missing out! It's really great that authors are starting to branch out and do these eSpecials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how so many of my favorite authors are doing both adult and YA now! And doing it well!

      Delete
  2. I'm with you regarding the above comment, its great when these authors get it right but can be so disappointing when they get it wrong as in Philippa Gregory's Changeling.

    Anyway, interesting post. Off-duty Angel looks promising though like you I have my reservations about Eve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelley seems to always get it right, which is a relief because I've become attached to these characters!

      Delete
  3. Alright! Knew you'd enjoy this one, especially with your love of the author's previous works. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do tend to get all fan-girly over my favorite authors, don't I? *L*

      Delete
  4. I need to go get this one. :) I've started to really enjoy this series and want to get this. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear that you're enjoying the series Melissa! Love the Otherworld characters!

      Delete
  5. You can never go wrong with this series. I'm so far behind in it. I'm going to reread the first one, Bitten, soon though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmmmm....this would make a great series to read on vacation Ryan!

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u