Review: Cold Cereal by Adam Rex | Alexia's Books and Such: Review: Cold Cereal by Adam Rex

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, June 15, 2012

Review: Cold Cereal by Adam Rex

Cold Cereal by Adam Rex

Cold Cereal Facts Serving size: 1 chapter
Number of servings: 40
Primary human characters: 3 (Scottish Play Doe, aka Scott possible changeling, Erno Utz genius, Emily Utz supergenius)
Magical creatures: at least 3 {Mick Leprechaun (or Clurichaun); Harvey Pooka (rabbit-man); Biggs indeterminate origin (hairy, large)}
Evil organizations: 1
Goodco Cereal Company, Purveyor of breakfast foods aspiring to world domination Adventure: 75%
Diabolical Schemes: 40%
Danger: 57%
Legend: 20%
Magic: 68%
Humor: 93%
Puzzles: 35%
Mystery: 49%
Not a significant source of vampires.
May contain nuts.
Daily values based on individual interest. Reader's estimation of value may be higher or lower, depending on your tolerance for this sort of thing.

My Thoughts:
This was a fast, fun read! Adam Rex has a quirky sense of humor that I absolutely love! I enjoyed his book Fat Vampire, but think I liked this one even better!

We are first introduced to Scott and his sister Polly. They're recently moved to Goodborough, NJ for their mother's new job at the Goodco Cereal Company. Scott hates the first day in a new school, as that's when everyone learns that his real name is Scottish, as in Scottish Play (his father was a superstitious actor and had just gotten a role in MacBeth when Scott was born).

While on a field trip to the Goodco Factory, Scott meets Erno and Emily Utz. Improbable twins, they are both incredibly intelligent. Emily is the smarter of the two, and is also one of the untouchable, unpopular girls.

Scott and the twins become friendly, as Scott is the new kid and Emily has no friends. I think they bond over their unpopularity. They are all interesting characters, and did I mention that Scott occasionally sees things that aren't there? Things like giant talking rabbits or unicats? Never knew there was such a thing as a unicat, but I so want one now!

Seems that the Goodco Cereal Company is up to no good, and their There's A Little Bit Of Magic In Every Box slogan might be all too true! There's something strange going on in Goodborough! Good thing that Scott and the twins are around!

There's magic and mythical creatures and puzzles and strange experiments...all in all, pretty fascinating stuff! I got sucked into the magic and really enjoyed the story, despite being a Middle Grade title. It didn't read like a MG book, and I loved the author's humor! Really hope that there will be a sequel, as I'd love to see more of these kids!

ARC received via Amazon Vine in exchange for an honest review

12 comments:

  1. Quirky sense of humour - I'm already sold on this one. Great fun review Alexia, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think you would like this one, as we have similar tastes in humor!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great read! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds cute! I LOVED the synopsis. Especially (not a significant source of vampires) Hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the "May contain nuts" disclaimer! ;)

      Delete
  4. This seems really kooky! Even though it's am MG read, I may have to check it out!

    Check out my blog/follow me sometime! princessoflit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kooky is a good description! I love kooky!

      Delete
  5. Loved the synopsis, can I even call it that? More like the nutritional value on the side of the book. How many calories serving? Wacky, fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This might be a fun read for you and the niece!

      Delete
  6. I've got to read this! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review....this one is still in my TBR Mountain but I can't wait. Sounds like it'll be a blast! ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u