Review: Cinder by Marussa Meyer | Alexia's Books and Such...: Review: Cinder by Marussa Meyer

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, June 29, 2012

Review: Cinder by Marussa Meyer

by Marissa Meyer

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, the ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

My Thoughts:
This is one of those books that suddenly popped up all around the blogosphere, so it took me awhile to finally pick it up and read. Happy to say that it lived up to all of the good buzz!

My first thought was that this would be another fairy tale mashup, but it's not. Well, it sorta kinda is, but not really. There's the unwanted Cinder who was adopted by a man shortly before he died of the plague. She is left with her mean "stepmother" and two "stepsisters". The younger sister seems sweet, but the other two don't really like Cinder and aren't afraid to let her know it. There's even a handsome prince and a ball, but that's more or less where the Cinderella comparisons stop. Well, aside from her pumpkin-like transport to the ball. :)

Cinder is a talented mechanic who just happens to be a cyborg. She doesn't remember anything before the surgery which saved her life, but is a survivor. As a cyborg, she technically belongs to her stepmother, has no rights because she's considered property, and she cannot keep any of her earnings.

I don't really understand the prejudice against cyborgs, as I think that would be beyond cool! How convenient to have a handy little indicator to let you know whenever someone is lying? And a mechanical leg that you could store things in? How awesome would that be? Unfortunately, it's not an easy life, but Cinder somehow manages to stay strong. I really liked Cinder, as she didn't let the constant emotional and mental abuse from her so-called family break her spirit!

A chance encounter with the handsome Prince Kai sets her on a path to an unexpected adventure. He was looking for a mechanic to repair his companion android. Turns out the life of a prince isn't so easy either. His country is suffering from the plague, and they are dealing with threats from the evil Queen Lunar. Very evil woman! E-vile!

Really loved the characters in this story! Cinder's companion android Iko is a blast! Such a big personality in such a little robot! Kai and Cinder are both great characters! And how cool that Kai didn't look down on Cinder, but actually seemed to like her! Go Kai!

This is a great start to a great new series! Was fast paced, had a great plot with interesting and believable characters, and the writing is out of this world! My only complaint was the cliff-hanger ending, and that I have to wait until next year for the next book to come out!


eBook from my personal nook library

14 comments:

  1. Still not too sure about the reshaping/rewriting of these classic fairy tales but as i've heard such a lot about this one I'll no doubt eventually give in and read it.
    Great review Alexia, its good to know your thoughts on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to shy away from books with heavy buzz, but I really enjoyed this one!

      Delete
  2. I loved this one!!!! You're right... the characters are great. Have you read the sneak peak of book 2 that is on the Lunar Chronicle's Facebook page? It's so good.

    I think there is predjudice against cyborgs, because people always fear that which is different from them. Sad but true. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right that people tend to fear anything or anyone who is different. I really liked Cinder, so am looking forward to seeing what happens next!

      Delete
  3. I loved this one too! And I agree, I hate having to wait for an entire year between books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I get impatient waiting for the next book in the series, but can't hold off reading the series until it's completed either. Wish authors would write faster! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm in the middle of reading this one at the moment. It's in third person so taking me a little longer to get into but I'm sure I'll enjoy it. The concept alone is amazing. I know how you feel about the cyborg sentiment. Heck, sign me up now. I'm health but I want to be a cyborg anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be cool to store things in your leg? And even though Cinder looked nothing like her, I kept thinking about Seven of Nine from Star Trek. I know she was a Borg, but she made cyborgs hot! ;)

      Delete
  5. I think it may be awhile before I get to this one. I has moved up the list now that you have said it's good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing what you think about this one!

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed this one too! Its fun to read another review on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to compare notes, as different readers pick up on different parts of the story. It's almost like you read different books!

      Delete
  7. Hmm, sounds like Cinder got the wrong end of the deal! I mean to belong to her stepmother because of the life saving surgery that turned her cyborg....not really fair now is it? *-* Still not sold on this one...not certain cyborgs are really my thing; glad it lived up to the hype for you though! Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally not fair that the thing that saved her life took away her rights as a human. I'm not usually into cyborgs either, but Cinder was more likable and I could relate to her more than her stepmother or older stepsister.

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u