Monday, May 21, 2012

Review: The Immortal Rules

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

In the dark days since the insidious Red Lung virus decimated the human population, vampires have risen to rule the crumbling cities and suburbs. Uncontested Princes hold sway over diminished ranks of humans: their "pets." In exchange for their labor, loyalty and of course, their blood, these pets are registered, given food and shelter, permitted to survive.

Unregistered humans cling to fringes, scavenging for survival. Allison Sekemoto and her fellow Unregistereds are hunted, not only by vampires, but by rabids, the unholy result of Red Lung-infected vampires feeding on unwary humans. One night, Allie is attacked by a pack of rabids, saved by an unlikely hero...and turned vampire.

Uncomfortable in her undead skin, Allie falls in with a ragtag crew of humans seeking a cure, or cures: for Rabidism and for Vampirism. She's passing for human...for now. But the hunger is growing and will not be denied. Not for friendship - not even for love. (Goodreads)


My Thoughts:
One of the things that I found so interesting about this story was the zombie twist. There is the usual horrible outbreak, but instead of turning people into zombies, it turns them into rabids. Rabids sound like zombies, but they're more like feral vampires. Instead of wanting to eat your brains, they just want to eat you. Might just be me, but I found this both amusing and original.

Unlike other books where humans are hunted to almost extinction, in this world the vampires realize that they have to take care of their food supply. In exchange for providing blood, registered humans receive food rations and some protection. Allie is an Unregistered who has to struggle to survive, but at least has her freedom. Banding together with other unregistered kids, they cling to existence.

Allie and her friends run out of luck one night and she is rescued by an unlikely source, and becomes the very thing she most despises. Coming to terms with her new incarnation, Allie learns what she can before being forced to set off on her own. She meets up with a band of humans searching for a rumored safe city, and travels with them for awhile.

Really liked Allie, and admired her determination to survive despite the odds. She is a strong person that still retains some of her old humanity, and does her best to avoid turning into the kind of monster she always despised.

Gave this a 5/5 as it kept me up much too late to finish reading. Couldn't wait to see what happened next, as Julie kept a great pace and there was something new around every corner! Loved Julie's Iron Fey series, but think she may have outdone herself and I think the Blood of Eden series will be even better!



ARC received from Media Masters Publicity, in exchange for an honest review

21 comments:

  1. I still haven't read anything by Julie Kagawa. How bad is that? This one sounds like the perfect one to start with though. I like the new twist on the vampire/zombie thing and even more that the heroine get's turned into the very thing she dislikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think I might like this series even more than the Iron Fey series, which I loved! Very excited that Julie just keeps getting better and better!

      Delete
  2. I'm going to read a book by this author someday, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will you read her if I promise to read Agatha Christie? :)

      Delete
  3. Rabids? A twist on the zombie/vampire theme - sounds interesting given that I think lots of people are a beginning to tire of the whole genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem like the vampire fad is running running out of steam, doesn't it?

      Delete
  4. So is this the first in a series???

    I've seen it and was going to take a miss for it but now that you have given it a 5 star...I think it will go into my pile.

    I hope you had a wonderful and fun birthday... John and I just celebrated ours too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two more May babies! Happy belated you two! :)

      Delete
  5. Ooo! Ooo! Ooo! I picked this one up, but haven't gotten to it yet. Can't wait to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see what you think of this one! Forgot to mention that Allie is Asian, which I thought was a nice change of pace!

      Delete
  6. Oooooo! I can't wait to get mine. :D Thanks for the amazing review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sure you'll like this one too Melissa!

      Delete
  7. I loved the Iron Fey series, but I heard this was kind of grim, so I've been on the fence about reading it. I keep seeing good reviews, though, so I really should give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I didn't find it grim at all, but can sorta kinda see why some readers might think that. I just thought it was made of awesome-sauce! :)

      Delete
  8. Any book that can keep me up is a good book! I've heard mixed reviews for this one, though. I still plan on reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was a little leery about starting a new series, but loved it! Hope you give it a chance!

      Delete
  9. Yay! So glad you enjoyed it too! Yes, there was that zombie element to it, good call. Definitely one I can't wait to see the next installment of. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's brand new, but I can hardly wait to read the next one!

      Delete
  10. I was wondering what this book was about. You said the magic word, "Zombies". I love, love, love zombies. :)

    Allison @ Well-Read Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review! I have hear so many great things about this book and after reading your comments, I can't wait to read it!

    Suz Reads

    ReplyDelete
  12. *Gasp* Something better than Iron Fey Series? Really? I hope my library gets it in soon...

    Thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete