My Book Haul | Alexia's Books and Such...: My Book Haul

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Saturday, May 26, 2012

My Book Haul

I find myself in need of a new way to showcase titles as, for personal reasons, I decided to no longer participate in The Story Siren's IMM meme. So I am "test driving" different alternatives. I like giving books a little special attention as sometimes it can be awhile before I'm able to review them. Sad to say, but some get put on the shelf and gather a little dust before I'm able to give them the love they deserve. There are several Book Haul memes around and I'm not sure who originated it, but I discovered it over at Anna's Book Blog.

For Review:
If you've spent any time on this blog, you've probably caught on to the fact that I'm a huge Jennifer Estep fan. A humongazoid fan! As in will read anything she writes and rave about it because I think that she's made of awesome type of fan! So was beyond thrilled (happy dance) when I received an eARC of the next book in her Elemental Assassin series! Love Jennifer! Love Gin! Love this pretty, pretty story (pets nook)!

Widow's Web by Jennifer Estep

My name is Gin, and I kill people. It’s something I've been doing for years as the assassin called Spider, but now, it’s turned into a necessity on my part just to survive all the lowlifes in Ashland who are gunning for me. The underworld is still in turmoil, and I seem to be on everyone’s hit list these days.

***
This was an email review offer from Novel Publicity. Didn't sound like my type of book at first, but read an excerpt and was hooked! A great example of why you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover or synopsis!
Sykosa by Justin Ordonez

Sykosa (that's "sy"-as-in-"my" ko-sa) is a junior in high school. She belongs to an exclusive clique of girls called the "Queens." The leader is her best friend Niko. Their friendship has been strained lately because Tom—Sykosa's first boyfriend boyfriend - has gotten all serious about making her his pretty Prom princess. That is if he ever gets around to asking her.

Swapped:
This is one of those books that I read a long, long time ago and enjoyed it so much that I shared it to a friend. Not sure why, but I had the impulse to reread it a few weeks back, so was happy to find it on Paperback Swap! It's a little more dinged up than I'd like, but still readable. Three women get the chance of a lifetime, to relive a few weeks in their past! I remember spending more time than I'd like to admit wondering which period I would choose to relive if I had the chance.....still not sure.

The Summerhouse by Jude Deveraux

Have you ever wanted to rewrite your past?



What did you receive in your mailbox this week?
Leave me a link and I'll stop by to check it out!

40 comments:

  1. Widow's Web looks awesome. Great haul of books. I always like seeing what people get every week.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Grace! I love seeing what people get too, and always wind up adding to my wishlist! *L*

    ReplyDelete
  3. sykosa does sound interesting, i can't wait to hear what you think of it.
    My post is here:
    Sunday Shout Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to it, as the excerpt was really good! Love trying things outside of my usual genres!

      Delete
  4. Sykosa sounds really interesting, and I like the cover too.

    Enjoy your books :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to admit that I'm not a big fan of Sykosa's cover, but I'm trying to not judge a book by it's cover! *L*

      Delete
  5. I feel so bad that I haven't read any of Jennifer Estep's stuff. Even though I know they're going to be good. Which do you recommend to read first, the Gin series or her YA series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends what you're in the mood for - Gin is an awesome urban fantasy assassin and meant for adults, so there is violence and some sex. Nothing offensive or too graphic, but it is there. The Mythos Academy series also has a little violence, but is meant for the YA crowd and has the fun mythology aspect. You know I love them both, so can't choose! ;)

      Delete
  6. I hope you enjoy widow's web! Tyngas reviews was quoted in it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool Tynga! Congrats on the quote!

      Delete
  7. Widow's Web sounds cool, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gaby! I <3 Jennifer Estep! ;)

      Delete
  8. Sykosa sounds interesting and I have to admit the wierd sketched cover kind of draws my attention! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how some people like the cover, but some don't. You're right that it's eyecatching though!

      Delete
  9. These are all new books to me. I probably wouldn't go to Sykosa based on the cover either! Sometimes, I think the marketing people don't do a good author any favors. Then again, I've picked up some books because I loved the cover, and then couldn't even finish reading them. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know we're not supposed to judge a book by it's cover, but it's hard! I've been seduced by gorgeous covers before too, and it's so disappointing when they turn out to be DNF titles! :(

      Delete
  10. +JMJ+

    Hi, Alexia! I'm here from Brodie's Owl Post. =) Like you, I've been looking for new alternatives, and so far, this one is my favourite. Here is my own Owl Post 1, if you'd like to see it.

    Sykosa looks so off putting! LOL! Until I run into a copy myself, I'll have to take your word for it being a good read despite the packaging. =)

    And to answer your question . . . Yes, I do wish I could rewrite certain things in my past. Whenever someone says that they don't regret anything because it all made them into the person they are today, I think, "Well, that's probably because you've led a perfect life . . ." =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to believe those people who say they wouldn't change anything, isn't it? Not even to go back and buy certain stocks? ha!

      Delete
  11. Great selection! They all sound good but very different from each other. I hope you enjoy them all. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! I'm looking forward to them all, especially my reread of Summerhouse to see if it's as good as I remember!

      Delete
  12. I want to say I've read Summerhouse, but I think it's a different book. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was surprised how many books have the same title. Don't think this one is up your alley, so was probably another Summerhouse.

      Delete
  13. All of these are new to me books! Thanks for stopping by!

    Lily
    So say we all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice haul! I haven't read Elemental Assassin series, but I love Estep's Mythos Academy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're halfway there Anna! You already know how awesome Gwen is, so now you just need to give Gin a chance. :)

      Delete
  15. Your Jennifer Estep love has me SO eager to read one of her books! They're on my wishlist, it's just a matter of getting that damn TBR down. But since they come so highly recommended, I better hurry :)

    And I LOVE finding a book that I previously had NO desire to read and then discover how awesome it actually is. They're the best surprises :D

    Awesome haul this week, hope you enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do get a little fan-girly over Jennifer, don't I? *L*

      Delete
  16. Great books this week. I hope that you enjoy them!

    Kristina
    Ladybug Storytime

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't heard of these but Sykosa sounds great.

    Thanks for stopping by.
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to reading Sykosa, as the excerpt really intrigued me!

      Delete
  18. Haven't heard of these either, but they sound good. Enjoy!

    Safari Poet

    ReplyDelete
  19. All of these titles are new to me - Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are new to me, but they sound great! I hope you enjoy them! Happy Reading! :)

    Lisa @ Lost in Literature
    My Stacking the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice Haul!!, I'm also looking for alternatives to IMM meme but I haven't find one that I really like. The only book I've read by Jude Deveraux was Eternity and I loved it, I may give Summerhouse a chance too :). I have The Duchess from her as well on my bookshelf but unfortunately I haven't been able to get to it. I understand the feeling sometimes I can't decide wich one to read first and some of them catch a little dust.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)


    -Shantal
    ♥ Book Nerds are Pretty Too

    ReplyDelete
  22. Only author I've read is Jennifer Estep. I've read her YA but not her adult. I need to try them out. Hope you enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice haul! Book 2 caught my eye...that cover is intriguing. Happy reading! (Oh and the answer to that last "question"...YES!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh you got Widow's Web! :D I need to get back to this series and get to know these characters better. :) Hope you enjoy all your books and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u