Thursday, May 10, 2012

Book Review: Lover Reborn by J.R. Ward

Lover Reborn by J.R. Ward

Ever since the death of his shellan, Tohrment is a heartbroken shadow of the vampire leader he once was. Brought back to the Brotherhood by a self-serving fallen angel, he fights again with ruthless vengeance- and is unprepared for a new tragedy. Seeing his beloved in dreams - trapped in a cold, desolate netherworld - he turns to the angel to save his former mate, only to despair at the path he himself must take to set her free. As war with the lessers rages, and a new clan of vampires vies for the Blind King’s throne, Tohr struggles between an unforgettable past, and a future that he doesn’t know he can live with… but can’t seem to turn away from.

My Thoughts:
This is one of the series that I stopped reading several books ago, as it just sputtered out for me and I lost interest. But when I saw that this one was about Tohrment, I knew that I had to read it as he's one of my favorite characters! Loved his relationship with his mate Wellsie, and how the two of them welcomed John Matthew into their lives and gave him the love and care he so desperately needed. Broke my heart when Wellsie was killed, so of course I had to read Tohr's story to see how he was doing!

There's an awful lot going on in this one and, while most of it was easy to follow, a few things had happened since I last visited with the Black Dagger Brotherhood and I felt like I was missing something. A few characters had gotten married, and there were new people I didn't know. 

There is the continuing war with the lessers, who seem to have an infinite supply of soldiers but aren't a large part of the story for some reason. Then there is a new threat from a rogue vampire clan, who seem to be after Wrath's throne. There is the new union between Xhex and John Matthew that is more than a little bumpy. And why is the angel Lassiter so interested in what Tohr thinks about a certain female?

Gave this one a 3/5 as while I liked it okay, it wasn't a must-read. The story was on the long side for me, and there was so much going on that it could get a little confusing at times. So many characters to keep track of. And there were several times that I wanted to reach into the book and smack Tohr, No'One, Xhex, and JM, among others! The way they behaved! *shakes head*

I don't know that I'll continue with the series, as the rose lost it's bloom for me awhile back...

11 comments:

  1. Ah yes...this is a series we have many a folk asking for in the store...always. Me? Not my cup of tea I'm afraid and what with the large cast with potential confusion, it doesn't raise it any higher on my list. Pretty good though that it still scored 3/5 even with skipping several books in the series. That's a good thing for others wanting to jump back in. Thanks for sharing...better luck on your next read. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gave it a 3/5 as I still liked the story, but don't know if I want to get sucked into the series again....

      Delete
  2. I hate when series sputter out for us. I do know the feeling of being so enamored with a certain character, though, and if a book was written just about them I'd be all over it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was a little annoyed with Tohr at times, but just had to find out what happened to him! :)

      Delete
  3. I've had the sputtering out ting happen to me a lot lately. Very disappointing. It's really hard to get back into a series when you've missed out on a few books. Glad that this one was at least enjoyable. I've heard a lot about the Black Dagger Brotherhood books but never had the chance to read one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was surprised when I realized how many series I've given up on the past year or so, as I used to stick with them no matter what! This isn't a bad series, it's just that I lost interest.

      Delete
  4. I have to say 10 books in. Wow. I would get puttered out myself. :) Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! Like most of the series I read, I think the first few books were the best!

      Delete
  5. Loving the idea of a heartbroken vampire, I'm not too sure if this is a series for me though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I don't think that this series would be to your liking. Actually, I was a little surprised I got sucked in! ;)

      Delete
  6. A lot of my book blogging friends really like this series, but I just haven't gotten the urge to continue it yet. I've only read the first book, and while it was interesting, I wasn't super impressed. Maybe one day...

    ReplyDelete