Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Book Review: The Department of Magic

 The Department of Magic by Rod Kierkegaard, Jr.

Source:  netGalley

It’s hate at first sight.

Jasmine Farah and Rocco di Angelo are competing for the same job in a dusty office in a secret Federal agency run by the mysterious, menacing Jefferson Davis Crawley - “Creepy” Crawley, as he’s known.

When Crawley is murdered in front of them after their first day on the job, Jasmine and Rocco are left to figure out who killed their new boss, and exactly what a job in the so-called Department of Magic entails. And magic, it seems, is nothing like it seems in children’s books; it’s dark and bloody and sexual.


My Thoughts:
This was a little on the strange side in that I couldn't stop reading because I wanted to know what happened next, but at the same time, wasn't really interested in what was going on. Does that make sense? I didn't really care for the characters, as Jazz and Rocky weren't all that likable. And their boss really was Creepy, in more ways than one!

Jazz and Rocky are the newest recruits in a strange organization, where they are bound together as partners in more ways than one. They more or less have to learn on the job, as their boss is dead. Not that he stops supervising them....as death doesn't seem to slow this agency down.

They are taught various methods to help in their new job, not that they really know what their job is. And all of the methods are old school, so they sometimes have to improvise.

There are monsters and bad guys and patriotism(!), all leading up to an epic battle. There's always an epic battle, isn't there? Couldn't really work up much excitement, but it may have been because everything was wrapped in the American Flag. Or because things were hard to keep track of. Or I was just bored.

I didn't like the ending as it just....ended. Very dissatisfying. I don't mind a cliffhanger, but this was more like running into a brick wall. Or the author suddenly realized that he had used up his whole allotment of words!

This was a quick read and wasn't all that bad, but didn't knock my socks off. Couldn't work up much interest in the characters and as I tend to like characters more than non-stop action, that could be why the book didn't rate higher with me. Have you read this one? Ever have a book fall flat like that? Ever have a book just end on you, like the author ran out of words? Inquiring minds want to know!

14 comments:

  1. Wow...I bet Crawley loved THAT nickname. Ha! Hmm...seems odd they are competing for a job they know nothing about though. *-^ I totally get that "couldn't stop though it was strange" aspect. Been there, done that. At least it was a quick read though....better luck next go round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got lucky with my next read and it was a 5/5! Good book karma! ;)

      Delete
  2. Sorry that this one fell a bit flat, to be honest seeing the title my first thought was ooh a Harry Potter type read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought too, but it couldn't have been more different. Oddly compelling though...

      Delete
  3. I know exactly what you mean! I hate when this happens. You read a whole book because you want to know what happens only to realize you don't really care! So frustrating. I hate when books just end seemingly mid sentence too. Argh! i won't be giving this one a go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending was really strange and I wondered at first if the eboook was missing pages but no, I then realized that the author meant to do that. Puzzling. :(

      Delete
  4. There's nothing worse than not being able to care about the characters you're reading about. Sometimes when the plot is horrible it's the only thing which keeps me going. Though I have to say, this kind of thing is happening to me more and more often. Don't worry about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found that I really need to care about the characters, but also need a little plot too. I love to find interesting characters, but then I want something to happen! Think I'm turning into a fickle reader. *L*

      Delete
  5. Sorry this one didn't work for you. I do hate it when i don't really care about books, but still need to know what happens. But then for it just to end makes it worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right...I kept waiting for the story to redeem itself, then was disappointed.

      Delete
  6. I have an irritating habit (only irritating to me) where I HAVE to finish a book once I've started it will forever bug me if I don't. This leads to me read books which I know either a)are showing signs of being rather rubbish or b) where I don't care whether the character gets squashed by a suspicious looking piano or not... I hope that the next book you read will contain neither of those things...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do that too Beth, then started feeling okay about not finishing books that didn't interest me. That's why this one was such a surprise, as I wanted to find out what happened next.

      Delete
  7. These are the books I'm refusing to finish this year. I just can't do it anymore. I just quit one book that took me a month to read to page 47. I admire your endurance and strength of will to finish this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting better with the DNF titles! Still working on a book I started in January though, as I determined to finish that one! *nods*

      Delete