Book Review: Dark Frost by Jennifer Estep | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Dark Frost by Jennifer Estep

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Book Review: Dark Frost by Jennifer Estep

by Jennifer Estep

I’ve seen so many freaky things since I started attending Mythos Academy last fall. I know I’m supposed to be a fearless warrior, but most of the time, I feel like I’m just waiting for the next Bad, Bad Thing to happen. Like someone trying to kill me - again.

My Thoughts:
Love, love, loved this book! 

Have been reading so-so books lately. They're not bad books, just not great. So I really, really needed a keep-me-up-all-night great read, and this one did just that! Picked it up intending to read the first few chapters, and stayed up past midnight to finish it! Love it when that happens!

This is book 3 in the Mythos Academy series, featuring Gwen Frost. A student at Mythos Academy, Gwen discovers that magic is real and that her fellow students are descendants of heroes. Not only that, but Gwen is the chosen champion of Nike, the Greek goddess of victory. As was her mother, and her grandmother before that. Whoa!

By now, Gwen has come to turns with the fact that magic is real, the bad guys want to kill her and, that as Nike's champion, she has to learn to fight the good fight. Luckily, she has the help of her friends and instructors.

Really like Gwen, and love that she hasn't turned into a Superwoman! Don't really like it when the heroine morphs into an awesome fighter after only a few lessons. Gwen has been working her butt off for months now, but she's still learning and still gets hurt. But she is learning, and is slowly getting better.

The Reapers (major bad guys) are still trying to free the evil god Loki from his prison and start another Chaos War. It's up to Gwen and the rest of the good guys to prevent this. Now the Reapers have upped the ante, and some of Gwen's classmates pay the price.

Gave this one a 5/5 as it grabbed me from the very beginning and I kept just-one-more-page-ing it until I had read the entire book! So very cool when a story grabs you like that and you can't put it down! This one has great characters, an awesome plot, and out of this world writing! Highly recommended for anyone who loves a good story!


Expected publication: May 29th 2012 by Kensington

13 comments:

  1. Now I feel bad! I just gave up on the first one in the series. I think it was more a mood thing than a reflection on the book, though. I might have to try again in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it was just a mood thing, as I really love this series!

      Delete
  2. Just finished reading this the other night. My review of this book doesn't go up until Thursday. I loved it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see what you thought of it Grace!

      Delete
  3. I really need to start getting into this series. I think I got a little scared because it follows that same kinda YA formula involving a school and training. Sort of a mix of Vampire Academy meets Percy Jackson. But Gwen seems to have her head on the right way. Will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you decide to give it a chance Lan, as Jennifer is one of my favorite authors!

      Delete
  4. I think I view all series like this the same way Lan does. I'm always a little scared to even get involved with them. Maybe one of these days.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe skim though one of the books next time you're at the bookstore to see if you like? I'm biased, as I'm a huge fan of Jennifer and have gotten to the point where I'll read anything she writes!

      Delete
  5. Book 3!?! Wow. I'm so behind. I still need to get the first one. *sigh* Thanks and so glad to see you loved this one so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think you'll like this series Melissa!

      Delete
  6. Book 3? *-* Hmm...I suppose I have to put another series on the "to read" list now. Thanks. (No really...thanks! ^_^) Glad it broke you out of your reading rut...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, you need to read this series! ASAP! *nods sagely* :D

      Delete
  7. My teen daughter just finished reading (and really enjoyed!) an eBook called Hear by Jacqueline Abelson. Great plot, interesting characters and a real message of self– empowerment. Here’s the link:

    http://www.amazon.com/HEAR-ebook/dp/B0084V2WVC/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1337991481&sr=1-1

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u