In My Mailbox (111) | Alexia's Books and Such...: In My Mailbox (111)

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Saturday, April 21, 2012

In My Mailbox (111)

In My Mailbox (111)
In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren. I've included links to Goodreads if you want more information on the books.

For Review:
I've been trying to stay away from NetGalley lately, as I can't resist the lure of awesome new titles. I made the mistake of opening one of their emails and couldn't resist requesting this one. So excited when I was approved, as it sounds like a great read!

Department of Magic by Rod Kierkegaard, Jr.
by Rod Kierkegaard, Jr.

It’s hate at first sight. Jasmine Farah and Rocco di Angelo are competing for the same job in a dusty office in a secret Federal agency run by the mysterious, menacing Jefferson Davis Crawley - “Creepy” Crawley, as he’s known. When Crawley is murdered in front of them after their first day on the job, Jasmine and Rocco are left to figure out who killed their new boss, and exactly what a job in the so-called Department of Magic entails. And magic, it seems, is nothing like it seems in children’s books; it’s dark and bloody and sexual.

***
This was pitched to me as the weirdest book of poems from the weirdest half of the weirdest sibling director duo ever. Now honestly...how am I supposed to resist that?

The Day the World Ends

Ethan Coen's screenplays have surprised and delighted international audiences with their hilarious vision and bizarrely profound understanding of human nature. This eccentric genius is revealed again in The Day the World Ends, a remarkable range of poems that are as funny, ribald, provocative, raw, and often touching as the brilliant films that have made the Coen brothers cult legends.

***
Werewolves as pets? Couldn't resist this offer from Rhemalda Publishing!

Tamed by Douglas R. Brown
Tamed by Douglas R. Brown

Werewolves are real.And they make excellent pets.Owning one of the legendary creatures is the latest fad. The WereHouse insists their werepets are loyal, docile, and 100% safe, but what happens when these gentle giants turn on their masters? 

***
This one was a free eBook offer from the publisher. If there's one thing I can't resist, it's a bargain! Plus, it sounds snarky. I love snarky!

Icarus the Kindred by J.S. Chancellor
Icarus the Kindred by J.S. Chancellor

Don t get me wrong; immortality does have its perks. Take dieting for example kind of hard to do when you ve only got two choices: fresh blood and slightly less fresh blood...

***
Another free title from Rhemalda Publishing!
Spur of the Moment by Candace Bowen Early
Spur of the Moment by Candace Bowen Early

Best-selling author Bronwyn Chase never quite fit in with the 21st century. On a publicity trip to New York City, a mysterious woman claiming to be a mystic from Bronwyn’s past gives her a silver knights spur. Asked to save Euric, a man she never knew existed, Bronwyn finds herself transported to 12th-century Cornwall. 


What did you receive in your mailbox this week?
Leave me a link and I'll stop by to check out your new books!

37 comments:

  1. Great mailbox this week. I got the two titles that you got this week last week. I can't resist freebies.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't resist freebies either! Now if I could just find enough time to read them all...

      Delete
  2. Wow! That's so many books. I've put myself on a book buying hiatus because I can't seem to get through my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on a book buying ban too, but the freebies are the ones killing my TBR piles! So many books, so little time... ;)

      Delete
  3. I hope you enjoy everything you got this week! Thanks for stopping by my IMM!

    ~Paige @ Comfort Books
    http://paigebradish1996.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. the department of magic sounds very harry potter-ish! enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounded like a fun read, so fingers crossed!

      Delete
  5. Never heard of those books, but I have to say that I'm curious about Icarus the Kindred. I'll have to check it out! Thanks for stopping by and enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Icarus was a great read! Hope you check it out, as I think Jessica is a new fave!

      Delete
  6. Ooohhh... Icarus looks really awesome. Great IMM!=D Thanks for dropping by my IMM!

    Fara @ Tumbling In Books

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a full Mailbox! Have fun reading them all!

    Thanks for sharing,
    Dani
    My IMM - http://paulettespapers.com/?p=1975

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani! Hope you have fun with your new books as well! :)

      Delete
  8. I haven't heard of any of those but they look great! Enjoy all your books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhemalda Publishing is new to me, but am loving their books so far!

      Delete
  9. Tamed sounds amazing. I have to add this to my TBR.

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamed was different than anything I've read before, so hope you like it!

      Delete
  10. The Day the World Ends sounds very interesting. I love the Cohen brothers movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the reasons I wanted to check out Ethan's poetry!

      Delete
  11. Interesting mailbox. Apart from The Department of Magic I haven't see any of the titles around.
    Enjoy your new books!

    Thanks for stopping by,
    Nickey @ The Book Shop Assistant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nickey! So far, they've all been great!

      Delete
  12. NetGalley is an addiction! Tamed sounds cool, happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I try to stay away from NetGalley because I have a hard time resisting all their cool, new titles! :)

      Delete
  13. Looks like some great reads! Have fun with all of them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! And nice job with the read-a-thon!

      Delete
  14. Tamed sounds really good!! I want to know what you think of that one when you're done!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working on my review now, as think it was a great read!

      Delete
  15. I haven't heard of any of the books you got. The Department of Magic looks like an interesting read though. Hope you enjoy all your reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does sound interesting, doesn't it? Hope it lives up to the synopsis!

      Delete
  16. Thanks for visiting my IMM!!!
    Icarus the Kindred has such a eye catching cover I love it. I have to check it out now haha!! XD Great IMM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Department of Magic looks interesting!! Icarus sounds good, too---love a good snarky humor, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both the cover art and synopsis for Department of Magic is very intriguing - enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh...nice mailbox! Hey, I've seen ICARUS around a time or two though I can't remember what the buzz was.... *hmm* Can't wait to see what you think. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yeah! So glad to see you got the free books from Rhemalda! :D That is sweet! Hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lots of great books this week, I hope you'llenjoy them all! Happy reading! :)

    Agnieszka @ Nook of Books

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u