Book Review: Icarus the Kindred | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Icarus the Kindred

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Book Review: Icarus the Kindred

Icarus the Kindred by J.S. Chancellor

Don't get me wrong; immortality does have its perks. Take dieting for example kind of hard to do when you've only got two choices: fresh blood and slightly less fresh blood. The media makes it all out to be glamorous. Romantic, even. But the books, movies and witty television shows have it wrong....


My Thoughts:
Really enjoyed this story and was sucked in on the very first page! Love it when that happens! Think I've found a new favorite female character in Jessica Slate, as she's snarky and tough, but not a superhero and can actually get hurt. I get really tired of the heroes who are invulnerable and never get so much as a scratch, no matter how intense the battle.

Jessica is a Covenant-level assassin whose latest assignment was a little out of the ordinary. Instead of taking someone out, she actually had to bring them in alive. Strange assignment for an assassin and her target behaved strangely enough to give Jessica pause, but she's good at following orders and brought him in alive. Barely, but still alive.

But that's only the beginning. Jessica is kidnapped by the strangest group of kidnappers around. They keep spouting cryptic statements just like her recent target, and claim that her mentor/sorta boyfriend Trinity is actually a bad guy. Head kidnapper bears an uncanny resemblance to the man haunting her dreams and would give Christian Bale a run for the money, but that's beside the point...or is it?

Jessica, being made of awesome, escapes and contacts Trinity. Despite the automatic death sentence for having her Icarus dosing disc removed (by said kidnappers), Trinity protects her. But things don't add up and Jessica needs to figure everything out, and figure it out fast!

Loved this book! Jessica is a great character! And the secondary characters were good as well. Loved the unexpected twists, and the dialog was spot on. Sounded like real people having real conversations! And did I mention Jessica's snark appeal? Loved it!

Gave this one a 4/5 as I loved the characters, it had great writing, and an awesome plot! If you've read this one, I'd love to know what you thought!


Free eBook provided by Rhemalda Publishers in honor of the upcoming launch of their new bookstore

5 comments:

  1. Oooh, I love snarky characters! :D I haven't heard of this book before but I've just put it on my wishlist. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicola! I love snarky characters too!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this one but it sounds fun. Love me a snarky character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sucked in, huh? Nice play on words with the fresh or less fresh blook intro. ^_^ Sounds as great as it appears....will certianly be adding it to the wish list. Thanks for the fab reveiw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow!! So glad you picked this one up! :D And I still need to get to it yet. :D I think I'm going to love it as well. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u