Review: Revealing Eden | Alexia's Books and Such: Review: Revealing Eden
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. ~Douglas Adams

Monday, March 26, 2012

Review: Revealing Eden

Revealing Eden by Victoria Foyt

Eden Newman must mate before her 18th birthday in six months or she'll be left outside to die in a burning world. But who will pick up her mate-option when she's cursed with white skin and a tragically low mate-rate of 15%? 

In a post-apocalyptic, totalitarian, underground world where class and beauty are defined by resistance to an overheated environment, Eden's coloring brands her as a member of the lowest class, a weak and ugly Pearl. If only she can mate with a dark-skinned Coal from the ruling class, she'll be safe. 

My Thoughts:
Eden lives in a post-apocalyptic world, where her light skin makes her vulnerable to sunlight and it's harmful radiation. In this world, the darker you are, the safer you are. 

Eden is a blue-eyed blond, which makes her undesirable in this new world. Called "Pearls", Eden and others like her cover themselves with a coating of Midnight Luster, to hide their white skin and light hair and eyes. If they don't, they risk dying from a condition called The Heat. Not 100% sure what that is, but that's what killed Eden's mother and it sounded painful.

Eden's father is a brilliant scientist who is on the verge of a major discovery. Eden unwittingly jeopardizes his experiment and they have to live with the consequences. 

I found myself losing patience with Eden at times, as she sometimes acted a little self-centered and childish. Had to keep reminding myself that she was a teenager, who grew up in a society that treated her as a second-class citizen. She actually behaved like a teenager, not the usual supergirl of YA fiction. I grew to really like Eden because of this!

Just have to mention the cover of this one, as normally I ignore covers since they have little or nothing to do with the story (how many times has the cover model had the wrong color hair? hmm?). At first, I thought the girl's face was half in shadow, but after reading the book, I realize that this is what Eden looks like both with and without the Midnight Luster coating! Brilliant! A cover that actually has something to do with the story! Even the big cat behind her makes sense! Kudos to the cover artist!

Gave this one a 4/5 as I really enjoyed the story. Had interesting characters, was well-written, and I even liked the characters who weren't all that likable and who annoyed me. Looking forward to the sequel, as I want to see what happens next for Eden and her new friends!


Review copy received from the publisher in exchange for an honest review (and a special thanks to Shellie at Layers of Thought, for spreading the book love!)

14 comments:

  1. Yeah, great to read about a book in which blue eyes and blonde hair are seen as desirable. I suppose it would have been pushing it for perfect size 8's to be seen as undesirable as well, she says laughing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent idea! Anyone that skinny would be pushed out into the sun! *evil grin*

      Delete
  2. Interesting reversal of stereo types there, usually its the opposite. Do love the cover actually matches the story! I hear you on the mismatches....LOL. Great review... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually ignore covers because the mismatches annoy me so much, but this cover rocks!

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of this one but now I'm all intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you give this one a chance, as I really enjoyed it!

      Delete
  4. Oooo, this is a new book to me and sounds like a wonderful read! THank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I REALLY enjoyed the whole blue-eyed-blonds-are-undesirable angle! Yes, I am petty that way. *L*

      Delete
  5. I wasn't too crazy about this one - though I thought the concept was cool - I just thought the execution was a bit odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eden did annoy me at times, but the cool concept kept my interest!

      Delete
  6. Not a YA reader, but was quite impressed by this one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you liked it! And thanks for stopping by Helen!

      Delete
  7. I also dislike covers that have nothing to do with anything in the story lol This one sounds good. Added to the TBR list =) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! How many times is the main character a short, stocky brunette and the cover model is a tall, thin blonde? Drives me nuts! :s

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u