Review: Devil's Luck | Alexia's Books and Such...: Review: Devil's Luck

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Review: Devil's Luck

Devil's Luck by Carolyn Crane

No wager is too outrageous for Simon Fitzgerald, the most reckless of the Disillusionists. 

Fawna Brady is tormented by the destinies she sees for those around her. To Fawna, knowledge of the future is a cage she’d do anything to escape.

Simon’s defiant attitude toward destiny captivates Fawna, but will her love destroy him? And will Simon rush headlong into the delicious doom she offers?

My Thoughts:
Really enjoying The Disillusionists series, and this short story is a welcome addition! It's about Simon and Fawna, both awesome characters mentioned all too briefly in the other books. I always wondered about Simon's background, and am pleased with the details Carolyn provides. And Fawna! Would love to see more of her in the future!

Simon thumbs his nose at fate and doesn't want anything to do with Fawna's ability to see into the future. His total refusal to let destiny have any impact on his life fascinates Fawna, and proves oddly irresistible. Used to feeling trapped by her gift, Fawna can't resist the taste of freedom that being with Simon provides.

The thing that really struck me about this story was their passion. No, not that...I mean their passion for living! They seemed to be having so much fun that I wanted to jump in and join them! Simon's recklessness seems appealing rather than foolishly dangerous, and I loved watching Fawna throw caution to the wind!

This was a fast read that totally left me wanting more! Loved the characters, it had a fast-paced plot that benefited from Carolyn's talented writing. Definitely recommend this series to anyone who's looking for something a little different than your usual urban fantasy read!


ebook provided by the author in exchange for an honest review

14 comments:

  1. This sounds like a short story done right. It's so great to get to know supporting characters in a non tedious spin off kinda way. Can't wait to read about all the passion ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved the glimpse into Simon's background, as it made him seem a little more human!

      Delete
  2. Yay that you're enjoying the series! Happy to hear that even if it's not necessarily something I'd pick up....a good reading adventure is still a WONDERFUL thing. ^_^ Fab share...happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good series, and this one just keeps getting better!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. If nothing else, it's a unique idea!

      Delete
  4. I'm not really into these short stories but that might be because I've never really liked any side characters enough to hear their story. Now that I think about it, there is one side character in Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series that I'd like to hear about. This one sounds fun, though. I always wish I could be more adventurous after reading about characters that are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't like short stories? I love short stories, especially anthologies! Don't know that this one would make much sense to you if you haven't read the series, but maybe try another one someday?

      Delete
  5. Yeahh!!! So glad to see you enjoyed this one too. :) I loved that they had so much fun. I wanted to be there with them as well. :D ANd I do want more of these two. :D Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it a fun read? And I loved their sheer enthusiasm!

      Delete
  6. I'm not a short story fan and find that my eyes get tired of reading e-books but I enjoyed your review and find the cover of "Devil's Luck" very imaginative.
    Mike

    PS Stop over at my blog some time and say hi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just like the cover....I'll leave the middle part to you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u