Monday, February 27, 2012

Review: Shatter Me

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

This was my matchmaker's pick for My Fair Book Date, hosted by Amber at Down The Rabbit Hole and Jazmin at Books!!!!!!. According to my matchmaker, they chose this one for me because:
It's a cross between The Hunger Games and "X-Men."
It's got a rockin' cover.
It's got beautiful prose.
(Evidence: "Hope is hugging me, holding me in its arms, wiping away my tears and telling me that today and tomorrow and two days from now I will be just fine and I'm so delirious I actually dare to believe it.")
Who WOULDN'T want to read this book?"

Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days. The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color. (Goodreads)


My Thoughts:
The book blurb mentions the X-Men, and Juliette did remind me a little of Rogue in that she couldn't touch anyone without consequences. What an idea! Can you imagine never being able to touch or be touched? What a horrifying thought! I was amazed that Juliette did not lose her mind, especially after being locked in solitary confinement for several years.

This was not a quick read for me, and I even put it down at one point. I'm not really sure what to make of the story, as it starts out one way, takes a strange turn, then ends up someplace completely different.

We start off with Juliette in prison. We slowly learn that the world is not in good shape and that an organization called The Reestablishment has taken over, promising to save society.

Adam, a boy she knew in grade school, is thrown into the cell with her within the first chapter. She remembers him, but doesn't think he remembers her. I didn't really "get" their relationship. Don't want to say more in case I accidentally spill the beans, but I didn't think it was believable.

The author's writing style took a little getting used to, as she utilizes a distracting annoying unique method of strike-thrus in order to help us try to understand Juliette's jumbled thoughts. As she's not used to talking to anyone after being alone for so long, her thoughts can be a bit chaotic.

I started out liking Juliette, but it did annoy me that she was described as beautiful. How can a person be beautiful after being locked in solitary confinement for who knows how many years, having limited access to basic hygiene? And why can't a main character ever be plain or just pretty? This is one of my pet peeves with YA....

Part one of the story, in the prison, was interesting. Part two wasn't bad, but I didn't really buy Warner's fascination with her. And part three became unbelievable and it was almost like it belonged to an entirely different story.

Despite the confusion, I did ultimately like the story. Gave it a 3/5 as the writing wasn't bad, and I admired what I think the author was trying to accomplish. I'm assuming there will be a sequel as the ending seemed like a set-up for book two. I know that this one has received mixed reviews, so please let me know what you thought if you've read it!

10 comments:

  1. not too sure this is a for me, a shame really as that cover is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover seems to be either a love it or hate it subject. I didn't really care for it, but do like the dress!

      Delete
  2. Is it sad to be happy someone isn't raving about a book? At least it makes me feel a little less harsh about my own. I just didn't find the characterisation in this one believable at all. I didn't believe Juliette was strong despite all the times she mouths off to Warner. I'd be ballsy mouthing off to someone if I knew they wouldn't hurt me either. And like you, I couldn't believe for a second that Warner was in love with her. Obsession maybe, but love? I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean, as it's hard to swim against the current when everyone raves about a book you didn't like. I think you disliked it a little more than I did, but I really enjoyed your review as it was so passionate!

      Delete
  3. Yeah, the writing style drove me nuts and even more so because it seemed to fade away by the end and completely change style. Still, I'm interested to see where the story will go. I think I felt about the same as you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it did calm down. Was so chaotic at the beginning, then really died down. Can't believe that I didn't even notice! :o

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed your review and like the story line of this novel.
    Mike
    PS Very impressive to have over 500 followers on your blog.
    Please stop by mine and say hi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike! Haven't visited in awhile, so will be sure to stop by and say hello!

      Delete
  5. Nice job on the review! Sounds like the author built the main character rather well actually as her jumbled thoughts seep through to her over personality. I don't know...I think you might have added another to the "to read" list. *glares...but only for a second* Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turn about is fair play, as you've added more than a few to my wishlist! ;)

      Delete