Book Review: Cruising Attitude | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Cruising Attitude
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. ~Douglas Adams

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Book Review: Cruising Attitude

Cruising Attitude by Heather Poole

Real-life flight attendant Heather Poole has written a charming and funny insider's account of life and work in the not-always-friendly skies. Cruising Attitude is a Coffee, Tea, or Me? for the 21st century, as the author parlays her fifteen years of flight experience into a delightful account of crazy airline passengers and crew drama, of overcrowded crashpads in "Crew Gardens" Queens and finding love at 35,000 feet.

My Thoughts:
While I'm not usually a fan of memoirs or non-fiction, this one sounded intriguing enough to give it a try. And it didn't hurt that I once considered becoming a flight attendant. Never got past picking up an application, but Heather walked me through the entire process and showed me what I missed!

Really enjoyed this book as reading it was like hanging out with a friend. A very funny friend. With a very interesting life. It was more a conversation than a dry recital of her experiences, which made this a fun read!

While I knew that flight attendants were more than the glorified waitresses that comedians make fun of, I had no idea just how intense their training was or how difficult their schedules actually were. I know that I'll never look at a flight attendant the same way ever again, and I have a new-found respect for them! 

But what's really cool about this book is that Heather makes her job sound fun! Despite the crazy passengers and exhausting schedule and the difficulty in maintaining relationships, it still sounds like an amazing adventure! So glad that she pulled back the galley curtain to give us a glimpse into her world, as it's a wild, wacky ride! 



Visit Heather’s website: http://hpoole.wordpress.com/
Follow her on Twitter: @Heather_Poole
Become Heather's fan on Facebook

Expected publication: March 6, 2012 
Review copy received from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

8 comments:

  1. I just got this one too and glad you enjoyed it. I plan to give it to a relative who used to fly the skies as a stewardess, after I read it, of course. Glad you thought it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now see, your review...totally makes me want to dig it out of the TBR pile THAT much faster. ^_^ Agreed on the memoirs, I only read them here and there, but this one sounded interesting. Glad it met your expectations...can't wait to dig in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will keep an eye out for your review, as I'd love to hear what you think about this one!

      Delete
  3. When I saw what this one was about I immediately was intrigued. I read a book once that mentioned that flight attendants don't just get drinks for us but are trained to size all the passengers up to see who would be useful in an emergency. I'm sure there's even more to it than that. I might have to see if I can get my hands on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their training is amazing! Who knew they needed to be prepared for so many different emergencies? But Heather makes it sound fun!

      Delete
  4. Like yourself I'm not a big fan of this genre but I can see the appeal of this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to read something different every now and again!

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u