Book Review: Immortalists | Alexia's Books and Such...: Book Review: Immortalists

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Book Review: Immortalists

The Immortalists by Kyle Mills

It's a question microbiologist Richard Draman thought he'd answered when he walked away from his career to focus on curing a genetic defect that is causing his daughter to age at a wildly accelerated rate. But now he and his wife Carly are being forced to come to terms with the fact that eight-year-old Susie's time is running out. Then they receive an unexpected gift: startling new research into the fundamental secrets of life that could be the miracle they've been looking for. 

When Richard is arrested on a trumped-up charge of having stolen the data, he takes his family and runs, seeking out a retired special-forces operative and old friend to help dig up the truth behind the controversial experiments. Determined to either save Susie's life or die trying, the Dramans plunge into a bloody conflict between two powerful factions vying for control of a discovery that could change the face of humanity. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
At first glance, this didn't seem to be my sort of book. I don't care for medical thrillers, and the synopsis sounded like a medical thriller. May be shallow of me, but I usually get bored and don't really care if the doctor(s) are able to find a cure in time before the whole world dies of some new deadly disease strain! 

Boy, was this a nice surprise! This is more a straight thriller, where the main character just happens to be a medical researcher. No boring details of the disease and no long, drawn-out explanation of how a cure is ultimately found. 

Was drawn into the story of how Richard and his wife Carly are suddenly thrust into a life on the run and wind up smack in the middle of huge conspiracy! The poor researcher and his chef wife handle themselves surprisingly well, but nothing too over-the-top unbelievable and they are both likable characters. 

Gave this one a 4/5 as it had interesting characters, was well-paced, had no gaping plot holes (that I noticed), and was well written. I even liked the ending. So lesson learned, and I won't automatically assume that something isn't my taste without at least reading the excerpt!


Review copy provided by Wunderkind PR in exchange for an honest review


8 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'm reading this one right now and am definitely liking it :)

    xo,
    La Toya (La Toya, Literally.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always a happy surprise when a book turns out BETTER than you imaged. Great job on the review by the way...and I totally hear you on the "boring" details. Sometimes if they get TOO techinical it takes away from the story. Anywho...great job, and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. La Toya - Can't wait to see what you thought of it!

    GMR - Thanks! I tend to get bored by too many details and skip ahead, possibly missing important clues! Oops! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not usually one for medical thrillers either. Too technical for me. But this one sounds quite good. I like the whole conspiracy spin and that the wife is a chef. Also great that they handle themselves well but not in unbelievable ways. Will give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fan of medical dramas though oddly enough I haven't read too many medical thrillers, this sounds like my cup of tea, thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wondering about this one, so I'm glad you reviewed it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you liked this one. At first it doesn't sound like one for me either, but from your review it does sound very good. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lan - Will be curious to see what you think of it!

    Petty Witter - I tend to shy away from anything medical, though I was a fan of Quincy on TV! ;)

    Shannon - Hope you give it a try, as I enjoyed it more than expected!

    Melissa - This one was a nice surprise!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u