Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Book Review: Every Other Day

Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Every other day, Kali D'Angelo is a normal sixteen-year-old girl. She goes to public high school. She attends pep rallies. She's human. And then every day in between . . .She's something else entirely.

My Thoughts:
This was a fun read by a talented author! 

Kali knows that she isn't normal, but doesn't know much more than that. Living with her father, she does her best to stay under the radar and remain invisible, as she's learned that this is the safest course. 

Despite her best efforts though, she makes a friend at her new high school. One thing leads to another and soon she has her own version of a Scooby Gang! And yes, that's a deliberate Buffy reference, as Kali reminded me a little of my favorite Slayer.

What exactly is Kali? Is she even human? And why did her mother leave when Kali was so young? This story leads us down roads I didn't really expect, but they are awesome roads! There's a bit of conspiracy and a hint of evil scientists, as well as supernatural forces you may or may not be familiar with. All in all, a very exciting read!

Loved Kali's friend Skylar, and even liked Skylar's obnoxious brother! All of Kali's new friends were interesting, and think they make a great new gang for her! Looking forward to reading more about them all and learning about Kali's abilities, so I really, really hope that this will be a series! Fingers crossed!

9 comments:

  1. Oh this does sound like a great fun read. :) thank you for sharing about this one. I don't think I'd have thought twice about it before, not really knowing what was inside. :) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Petty Witter - Really enjoyed this one!

    Steph - Please let me know if you do, as I'd love to see what you think of this one!

    Melissa - I liked this one so much that now I want to read Jennifer's other book! A very fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the intrigue around what Kali is. I'm very curious to know now. I'm a huge fan of books where the MC has a big group of friends and this one sounds like it's right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Glad this one turned out to be as good as the cover looks becuase really...it's caught my eye a time or two in the store already. Looks like another add to the future read list. Thanks for sharing! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot wait to pick this one up - it looks so great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anything that reminds you of Buffy can't be bad. I may have to think about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lan - Kali starts off as a loner, but Skylar won't let her stay that way. Loved Skylar!

    GMR - I've heard good things about this author, but had never read her before. A new favorite!

    Erica - Hope you enjoy!

    Ryan - I'm a huge Buffy fan, so loved the similarities!

    ReplyDelete