Book Review: Delirium | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Delirium
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. ~Douglas Adams

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Book Review: Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
This is one of those titles that had so much buzz around it when it first came out, that I put off reading it as I didn't think it would be able to live up to the hype. I'm glad I put it off, because I think I would have been disappointed if I'd read it amid all of the hoopla. As it is, I came to the story fresh and without any expectations. Well worth the wait!

Lena is the main character, who is looking forward to receiving the Cure. Her family has a checkered history of being infected, so Lena has grown up afraid that she might succumb as well. She is counting down the days until she is old enough to be cured, until the unthinkable happens when she least expects it....

Lena was a likable enough character, but I didn't really care for her family. I understand her aunt and older sister being standoffish as they had been cured, but her younger cousins seemed a little strange. Really liked her friend Hana though! Was a little surprised at her attitude at times, but she seemed like a good friend. 

And Alex! If you're going to be infected by the delirium of love, he's a good choice! I thought his history was a little too pat, and he seemed to have it a little easy for being what he was, but all in all he was very likable. And I really liked the ending, as it was believable. Can't wait to read the sequel and see what happens next!

ARC received from the publisher at BEA

18 comments:

  1. oohh great review, Alexia! I must say, the idea that love is a disease is an interesting one... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree that it's a great premise! Looking forward to seeing what happens with Lena next!

      Delete
  2. Ahhh, I wondered if the hype would have made it less enjoyable. I'm not really 100% about getting this book just yet, not that it doesn't sound good, but like you I was afraid the hype would take away from the story for me. :) Thank you for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that I waited with this one, as all of the hype would have been distracting...

      Delete
  3. I had started this one a while back but then it was due at the library so I had to return it. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it. I was a cheater and read the the last bit so I know exactly what you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too funny Lan! Have to admit that I sometimes read the last page too! Let's just say it's for reassurance, not cheating. :)

      Delete
  4. Hearing lots of things, both good and bad, about this one, the hype surrounding it is huge which kind of puts me off a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huge hype has kept me from reading more than a few books, so I know what you mean.

      Delete
  5. Nice review! I've been meaning to read this one as it sounded good the first time I heard of it...same here with the buzz, sometimes it makes me wary not curious. Anywho, glad to hear it was a good read! Will have to unearth from the TBR Mountain soon... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's where I unearthed mine! Funny how our TBR piles have all turned into mountains! Need to read faster I guess. *L*

      Delete
  6. i can't believe i still haven't read this one. at least i am not the only one. thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would not believe how many "hot" titles I still haven't gotten too! Belive me, you're not alone!

      Delete
  7. great review! i sooo want to read this book and before I fall! I haven't had the chance yet since the hardbound edition is still very expensive here. im waiting for the paperback edition...looks like a book i would really love!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd recommend your read Before I Fall first, as that one was awesome! Hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  8. Yay for Delirium! I reviewed Pandemonium today but I'm feeling the need to return to Delirium for another go! Loved them both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Off to check out your review! Can't wait to get my hands on Pandemonium!

      Delete
  9. That's the exact same reason I put off reading this one (and Divergent)! ...Of course I still haven't read it yet but I'm hoping to asap. I always entrap myself with too high expectations and then I feel terrible when rating/reviewing.
    I enjoyed reading your review :) Thanks for stopping by my blog and striking up a game for Words w/ Friends with me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to read the sequel to this one! I really enjoyed the premise of this book and I look forward to seeing where the author takes it!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u