Book Review: Crossed | Alexia's Books and Such...: Book Review: Crossed

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Book Review: Crossed


Crossed by Ally Condie

In search of a future that may not exist and faced with the decision of who to share it with, Cassia journeys to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky - taken by the Society to his certain death - only to find that he has escaped, leaving a series of clues in his wake.

My Thoughts:
This was the much anticipated sequel to Matched (see my review here). We pick up shortly after the end of Matched, with Cassia determined to find Ky instead of meekly following the path the Society has laid out for her. Have to admit that I liked the first book better, as I was really intrigued by the mysterious Society and how it worked. This one was mostly set outside the Society, and I found myself a little bored at times.

Cassia and Ky take turns narrating the story and the chapters are labeled so that there's no confusion. The plot was pretty smooth, despite the different voices. There were a couple of coincidences in the story that I found a little unbelievable, and I didn't really get one plot point and wasn't sure what Condie was aiming for.

Have to admit that I'm curious about what will happen next and where Cassia will end up. Xander surprised me a little, so I'm not as sure about him as I was in the first book. I liked this one okay, and will read the next book just because I'm curious how things will turn out. Middle books are tough, and this one was no exception. Gave it a 3/5 as it wasn't as good as the first one, but still okay.


ARC received from the publisher via BEA

11 comments:

  1. I borrowed Matched a couple of weeks ago but didn't manage to pick it up. I think there's too much hype around it at the moment for me to give it an objective reading. Glad to see that you enjoyed this one even if it wasn't the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right that too much hype can be a little off-putting. Hope you give it a chance, as I enjoyed Matched!

      Delete
  2. I don't know if these books are me. I haven't decided yet. They do sound very good, but I just haven't picked them up.

    Thank you for the wonderful thoughts on this one. :) Look forward to your thoughts on the next one when it comes out too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a bad series, but don't think they're a must-read either. Lots of other readers loved them, so you still might want to give them a try.

      Delete
  3. Interesting, the first thing to strike me was how I would never have guessed what the story was about just by looking at the cover - there just wasn't a clue there as to what genre it was let-alone what it was about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The girl in the bubble theme is a little strange, isn't it? ;)

      Delete
  4. A really good review - thanks for sharing! By the way, I really like the quote from Erasmus, it's brilliant!

    Jessica from Booked Up!
    http://www.bookedupbloggers.blogspot.com/

    :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! Books are a much better investment than clothes! :)

      Delete
  5. I have Matched and have not read it yet.... so behind :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to seeing what you think about these books Sheila!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well then lol Sounds like I NEED to hurry up and read Matched!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u