Book Review: Bumped | Alexia's Books and Such...: Book Review: Bumped

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Book Review: Bumped

Bumped by Megan McCafferty

When a virus makes everyone over the age of eighteen infertile, would-be parents pay teen girls to conceive and give birth to their children, making teens the most prized members of society.

My Thoughts:
This story felt a little been there, done that. Yet another tale of a future where young girls have a horrible fate in store for them when they grow up. Instead of dying at a young age, they simply become infertile. What exactly does the future have against teenage girls?

Despite the feeling of deja vu, I did like the story. Melody and Harmony are twins who were separated at birth; Melody to be raised to become the perfect surrogate and Harmony to be a wife and mother on a religious compound. Neither one is happy, but they aren't quite sure what they actually want. 

The chapters alternated between the two girls, but were clearly labeled so there was no confusion over which twin was narrating. Of the two, I found myself liking Melody a little more, as Harmony seemed to act out of character with little provocation. And I didn't really buy the ending.

Gave this one a 3/5 as it was a likable read, but I didn't love it. I really liked some of the details, such as internet access via contact lenses and an earpiece. How cool would that be? If you read this one, am curious what you thought of it. And are you as tired as I am of the dreary future for teenagers trend in YA?


eBook from my personal library

12 comments:

  1. I thought this book was okay. Certainly not very different. As for getting tired of dystopian fiction, I'm getting there but I like that genre so much that I read just about what I can get my hands on.

    There's some good ones, and some icky ones out there but they all basically follow the same formula.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you say this one sounds so familiar. It might be a good read for anyone who hasn't read anything of this type before but I think I'll give it a miss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "What exactly does the future have against teenage girls?" - I find myself asking that same question all the time. As well as the "what exactly does the future have against love?" This one sounds interesting but probably not one that I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to read this one forever because her Jessica Darling series is one of my favorites of all time, but it sounds kind of weird. I will still be reading it though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This story was definitely, I guess cringeworth at times, but I didn't feel like it's been done before. Yeah there are a lot of dystopias, but this was the first I read where young girls had to get pregnant, etc.

    This book brings up so many questions though. Sometimes I'm still not sure how I feel about it, but I will be reading Thumped to find out what happens next.

    Amber
    The Musings of ALMYBNENR

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a worse opinion of this book than you, but you handled this review quite well.

    Melody was a bit more 3 dimensional. Harmony seemed a bit contrived and would act out of character at the authors benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed Bumped. I didn't love it, like you either. I am excited for the second one though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really just wasn't impressed at all with this book. In fact, I don't think I finished it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. okbolover - Maybe I'm just getting tired of the genre, but I'm feeling a lot of deja vu lately.

    Petty Witter - You're probably right. Good for someone who hasn't read dystopia, but only okay for others.

    Lan - The future does seem bleak for teenagers, doesn't it?

    Steph - And I'll probably read the sequel too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. aLmYbNeNr - I want to see what happens next, so will no doubt read Thumped too!

    Rie Conley - Harmony's behavior did surprise me, especially for someone raised so strictly.

    Kristina - Liked it but didn't love it would be a great description!

    Hannah - Sad not to finish a book, but why waste your time if it's not enjoyable? Hope your next one is better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice job on the review! I'm always curious to hear more on this one because the reviews I've seen tend to run hot and cold 99% of the time. Glad to hear it was decent....even if deja vue inducing. Thanks for sharing..and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still a good read, even with the deja vu!

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u