Thursday, December 22, 2011

Short Story Review: Doodling

Doodling by Jonathan Gould

Neville Lansdowne fell off the world. Actually he did not so much fall off as let go. The world had been moving so quickly lately and Neville was finding it almost impossible to keep up. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
This is a short story and a fast read at only 37 pages. It's fast and fun and I was taken by the idea that the world is moving so fast that people are being flung off into space left and right!

While Neville first assumes that he's alone, he explores the asteroid field he's found and discovers an amusing assortment of other refugees. No mention is made of the fact that people are living on asteroids in the middle of space and are able to easily move between them, which was a fun twist.

There is the girl sunbathing on the aimless asteroid, the bikers, and the party couple. I really liked Helen, who must constantly tend her garden so she doesn't lose it. How can you stop and smell the roses if they need constant attention? And what's up with the toaster people?

You can read this book as a light romp, or look for the hidden depths and try to figure out any allegorical meanings behind Neville's adventures. Curious to see what others thought of this one, so please let me know if you've read it!


I received a copy of this eBook from the author in exchange for an honest review.

4 comments:

  1. I know just how Neville feels, at times I feel like letting go myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this sounds awesome and the cover is amazing.

    xo,
    Lah @ LazyGirl Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Petty Witter - Would be nice to let go, wouldn't it? I'd like to chill on an asteroid somewhere, but only if I could take my books with me! ;)

    Lah - Was a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, a fluffy white cloud made of marshmallows.

    ReplyDelete