Review: The Future of Us | Alexia's Books and Such...: Review: The Future of Us

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, December 26, 2011

Review: The Future of Us

by Jay Asher & Carolyn Mackler

It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long - at least, up until last November, when Josh did something that changed everything. Things have been weird between them ever since, but when Josh's family gets a free AOL CD in the mail, his mom makes him bring it over so that Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto their Facebook pages. But Facebook hasn't been invented yet. And they're looking at themselves fifteen years in the future. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts
This is one of those stories that is so incredibly good that you simply can't put it down! Loved the whole idea of seeing your future via Facebook posts! And how the smallest little thing can have huge ramifications on your future. Who knew that making a simple declaration would change who you would marry or where you would live? Emma doesn't want to live in Ohio? Done! Fascinating concept!

Really enjoyed how the chapters alternated between Emma and Josh, giving us their viewpoints as well as some of their Facebook posts. Facebook is such a normal part of life now that you forget how strange it would seem to someone from 1996.

Emma and Josh are both well drawn characters and I liked them both. While I was happy that Josh's future seemed to turn out great, I admit to being worried about Emma and her future(s). I understand how she would want to change what she perceived as an unhappy fate, but Josh was right in pointing out that it wasn't a game. The smallest little ripple could change everything, including future children! A little scary if you think about it! But would I be able to resist trying to change things? Probably not!

Gave this one a 5/5 as once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down! I really liked the characters, the plot was fascinating, it was well paced and well-written, and I really really loved everything about it! Can't wait to read more by these authors and have already added their previous books to my wishlist! Definitely a must read!


ARC received from BEA

9 comments:

  1. 5 out of 5 is high recommendation indeed, so glad you enjoyed this book which sounds like a winner even if I'm not too keen on the idea of those fb entries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great book. This might be one of the ones about semi time travel that I would pick up. It is very interesting how Facebook and the internet are so normal to us these days when a couple of decades ago they were unheard of!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I got this book for Christmas, and I can't wait to start reading it. I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Petty Witter - I couldn't put this one down, despite the mountain of chores I was supposed to do. Thought it was a really great read!

    Lan - I had forgotten the old pre-wifi days where if you were online, you couldn't make a phone call. Seems so long ago!

    Kelly - Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing your future via Facebook posts. Oh dear...that could be scary! Lol. But I've looked forward to reading Jay Asher's next book every since I read Thirteen Reasons Why. Definitely on my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now see I was curious about this one having read another work by one of the authors (Carolyn Mackler...TANGLED) and enjoyed it very much. Sounds like a winner to me....might just be making its way to my wish list. Thanks for the great review! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been itching to read this! Wish I had gotten it at BEA!

    By the way, thank you so much for the Christmas card and bookmark. You are a kind and treasured friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm so glad to hear this one lives up to expectations! it sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Natalie - Thirteen Reasons Why is on my to-read list!

    GMR - I enjoyed this one so much that I now want to read everything these two have ever written!

    Steph - So glad you liked the bookmark, as I love those post-it bookmarks! Hope we can meet up one of these days!

    Carrie - It was amazing! Great way to end the reading year! :)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u