Book Review: Matched | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Matched

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, November 11, 2011

Book Review: Matched

Matched by Ally Condie
4/5 rating

Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate... until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow. (Goodreads)


My Thoughts:
This is one of those books that generated so much buzz when it came out that I put it aside to read later. Sort of forgot about it until I saw that the sequel was coming out, so decided to go back and read it. I'm a little quirky in that I don't like to read the "hot" books that everyone else is reading, as the blogosphere tends to get over-saturated with reviews of the same titles. Glad I finally picked this one up, as I enjoyed it!

Cassia has been raised in a very strict society, where the government makes all major decisions for it's citizens. They decide what you eat, your job, who you will marry, and even when you will die. They've also destroyed almost all art, leaving only the 100 "best" books, music, poetry, and art. That in itself is somewhat terrifying. The Society is Big Brother squared!

As this is all she has ever known, it never crosses Cassia's mind to question the Society. Then she sees another boy's face pop up on the microchip holding her Match's information. How can this be? Xander, her BFF since childhood, is supposed to be her perfect match, so why did she see Ky's face as well? Cassia begins to wonder... and begins to question whether the Society is as perfect as it claims. Why can't people decide who to love and marry? Why did they destroy so many books, music, poems, and artwork? And what exactly is going on in the Outer Provinces?

Overall, I really enjoyed this story! I liked seeing Cassia slowly open her eyes and start to notice the small cracks in the Society all around her. I found it a little hard to believe that Ky would be so reckless, but teenage boys in love tend to be a little reckless, so it didn't bother me too, too much.

Gave this one a 4/5 as I really liked the characters, enjoyed the story, and found the plot so believable that it was scary! Revolution is hard and most people don't seem to want to fight if most of their needs are taken care of. Found this world very believable, which made me enjoy Cassia's "awakening" even more! Looking forward to reading the rest of the trilogy to find out what happens next!

9 comments:

  1. Can you believe I haven't read this one yet?! Bad me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is on my TBR to read. I love dystopian and really enjoy the way this book has taken the Big Brother concept to the extreme because it's both fantastical and believable. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not my usual genre but I am loving the review. I will be checking it out for sure!

    New Follower here!

    Miranda ~
    http://www.momsbookshelf.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon - It took me over a year to read this one, so you're not alone! *L*

    Lan - Loved the glimpses into how the Society functioned, and you're right that it's both fantastical and believable!

    Miranda - Hi Miranda! Thank you for the kind words, and nice to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this yet either. I don't read a ton of YA and wasn't sure if this should make the list!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to see you liked this one! I haven't read it, but I've been toying with the idea of picking it up. I'm not typically a fan of paranormal lit, but I'm trying to branch out a bit. After reading your review, I think I'll keep this one in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa - This one got a lot of buzz when it first came out, but don't know if I'd pick it for someone who doesn't read YA. Maybe read XVI or Wither instead.

    JP - I really enjoyed learning about everday life in The Society! Hope you give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woo-hoo! Another fan of the series...thus far. ^_^ LOVED this one when I first read it...and CROSSED is definitely on my "read-as-soon-as-humanly-possible" list. ^_^ Great job on the review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I received this book for Christmas last year and I still have not yet read it. I've heard a number of mixed reviews, but I can't wait to read it for myself! Not sure I will get to it before the end of the year, but definitely early in 2012 if I don't!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u