Friday, October 28, 2011

Review: Love Lies Bleeding

Love Lies Bleeding by Jess McConkey

To what lengths would you go to keep a past buried?

Samantha Moore is the golden girl - with a perfect job, a perfect man, a perfect life - until a random act of violence changes everything. Unconscious for two months, Sam awakens from her coma a different person - bitter, in constant pain, and forced to endure medications that leave her nauseous, paranoid, and struggling to keep a grip on reality. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
This is one of those books that caught my eye because of a promising synopsis, but didn't turn out the way I expected. I didn't really care for Sam, the main character. I was sympathetic towards her at first, but her behavior eventually turned me off. Didn't care for her family or fiance either, but some of the secondary characters were okay. And I really liked Roxy!

Sam has nightmares because of her attack. Horrible nightmares. In pain, she lashes out at her fiance and anyone who tries to get too close. Jackson, her fiance, seems like a nice guy at first. And he only wants whats best for her, right? Or does he? And what about Sam's parents? Did they send her away to recover in the peace and quiet of the country, or because she was no longer their perfect little girl? Honestly, Sam annoyed me so much at this point that I didn't really care.

While I've never been the victim of a violent attack, Sam's reaction felt off to me somehow. I could understand her medication affecting her behavior, but she didn't come across as a very nice person to begin with, so it was hard for me to care about her story. And by the time strange things started happening, it was a little too late for me.

This was an okay story with a strange twist, but my main objection was that I didn't really care for any of the characters. Maybe it's just me, but it's hard for me to enjoy a story when I don't really like the characters. Gave this one a 3/5 as there was nothing wrong with the writing and overall, it was okay. Would love to hear from anyone who has read this one for a different point of view!



Review copy received from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.


4 comments:

  1. I think I'll pass on this one, then. I agree with you that a book without characters we can connect with isn't much fun.

    I'm struggling with a book like that now...and everyday, I feel like pushing it away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't care about the story if the characters suck. I think I will stay away from this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurel-Rain - Know exactly what you mean! I've got another book that I've been struggling with since September. Keep picking it up and putting it back down to read something else. Should just give up already...

    Ryan - I think I'd even prefer great characters and a bad plot to characters I don't like. But others may love this one, so you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...such a turnaround from the brief glimpse! Sucks when you don't fall all over the characters....kudos to you for sticking with it though and thanks for sharing the journey!

    ReplyDelete