Review: Loose Diamonds | Alexia's Books and Such...: Review: Loose Diamonds

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Review: Loose Diamonds

Loose Diamonds by Amy Ephron

Source:  Review copy received from publisher, via Shelf Awareness

Rating:  3/5

In Loose Diamonds, an engaging collection of essays and observations, Amy Ephron, the acclaimed, award-winning author of the One Sunday Morning and A Cup of Tea, paints a rich, vivid, and comic portrait of modern living from a modern woman’s perspective. Fans of the writings of Amy Sedaris and Joan Didion’s Slouching Toward Bethlehem will enjoy Ephron’s funny, incisive take on the intricate weave of a woman’s world. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
This is an amusing collection of essays, mostly about Amy's life. And it's not exactly a typical cookie-cutter life either, as she was raised in Beverly Hills by a pair of Hollywood screenwriters. Not many people I know had a childhood neighbor who transformed his home into an exotic bird sanctuary, has an alcoholic mother who insists on putting all condiments in their own serving dish, or is asked to confront a possible terrorist by an airline pilot. Strange tales all, but Amy makes them interesting!

Amy is a talented writer, and this is a good book to have while waiting for an appointment as you can pick it up and read at will. I like collections like this for that very reason, as all of the essays are stand-alone stories and can be read in any order. Gave it a 3/5 as I liked the book, but it didn't set my world on fire.

6 comments:

  1. I like things that are easily finished in small sittings. Did any of it make you laugh out loud? I'm finding that to be a selling point for me lately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill - Can't say that any of the essays made me laugh out loud, but some did make me grin and shake my head. Does that count? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of a book of essays. Short and sweet and easy to read is right up my alley right now. Amy's life sounds pretty interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your final assessment there...very catchy. Can't say this is one I'd pick up, but I'm grateful for the glimpse behind the cover. Happy reading! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a genre I'm too keen on but it sounds like Amy has led such an interesting life that I could be tempted by this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lan - Short & sweet & easy is the way to go!

    GMR - Thanks!

    Petty Witter - Definitely an interesting life! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u