Book Review: Confessions of a Call Center Gal | Alexia's Books and Such...: Book Review: Confessions of a Call Center Gal

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Book Review: Confessions of a Call Center Gal

Confessions of a Call Center Gal by Lisa Lim

Source:  eBook won from The Book Vixen

Rating:  4/5


Madison Lee is a fresh college grad, ready to take on the world of print media. But she has zero luck landing a job.... Desperate and left with no other options, she accepts a position as a service rep at a call center in Pocatello, Idaho.

At the Lightning Speed call center in Spudsville, Maddy plunges into the wild and dysfunctional world of customer service where Sales is prided over Service and an eight hour shift is equivalent to eight hours of callers bashing her over the phone. Oh sure, the calls are bad. But Maddy manages to find humor on the phone and off the phone. And with all the salacious drama behind the calls, there is never a dull moment at the Lightning Speed call center.... Working at a call center has never been this garish . . . or this delightful.

***DISCLOSURES: If you find politically incorrect shows like The Office, South Park and Chelsea Lately detestable, childish and offensive, then this book is probably NOT for you. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
As a fellow call center gal, I have to confess that I really loved this book! Like Maddy, I've dealt with team leads and AHT, but instead of the Not Ready button we have ACW (after call work). Are call centers dysfunctional? Of course they are! So many rules and regulations and having to deal with angry callers, yet Lisa has managed to put a humorous spin on it while still remaining true to the life.

Maddy is a smart woman who, like many others, cannot find a job in her chosen field. She takes what she hopes is a temporary job in a call center and enters the weird, wild world of customer service. Lisa's characters are fun and interesting and will be familiar to anyone who has worked in this environment. There are the lifers who have been there seemingly forever, as well as the agents just passing through. To her surprise, Maddy not only survives, but is promoted! So is her hunky crush Mika and BFF Kars.

This story is definitely for adults with a sense of humor. Lisa shows that it's a tough life that can reduce agents to tears, so a healthy dose of humor is needed to survive. Some of the scenes that seem too over the top to be true are the ones that had me laughing the hardest and thinking been there, done that! The crazy email addresses. The hard to decipher accents. The strange requests. The excessive cursing. All of these rang true!

This is a very funny, original book that gives a glimpse into the life of a customer service agent at a call center. It's about time that someone told our story! Whether you've worked in a call center or not, you need to read this book! If you've never been an operator, maybe you'll be a little more sympathetic next time you call with a problem. And if you have been an agent, this is your story! Go! Buy it! And high fives to all the call center gals out there!

6 comments:

  1. It must be pretty interesting to work in a call center! Though I've never worked in one, I have been wanting to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Love that you said that all call centers are dysfunctional! At least this one seems to keep the fun in dysfunctional! *snort* This one sounds like a hoot. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there should be some kind of call center gal support group because I am still recovering from some of the bizarre things that happened when I worked in one. I'm sure this is going to be one that I'll thoroughly enjoy. Have added this to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again for reading and reviewing. You're a total rock star and I'm so grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't miss my call center days. Though my time at MCI was a hoot and I made a ton of money.

    Sounds like a fun book, I may have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I've been meaning to add this to my wish list. I can't help but think I'll see some similarities within the story (have worked in a call center before...oye). Hey...that "Not REady" button and "ACW" sound familiar.... O_o Sounds like another "true life is funnier than fiction" work...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u