Saturday, September 10, 2011

Review: Spell Bound

by Kelley Armstrong

Savannah Levine is in terrible danger, and for once she's powerless to help herself. At the heartbreaking conclusion of Waking the Witch, Savannah swore that she would give up her powers if it would prevent further pain for a young orphan. Little did she know that someone would take her up on that promise.

And now, witch-hunting assassins, necromancers, half-demons, and rogue witches all seem to be after her. The threat is not just for Savannah; every member of the Otherworld might be at risk. While most of her fellow supernaturals are circling the wagons at a gathering of the council in Miami, Savannah is caught on the road, isolated from those who can protect her and unable to use her vast spell-casting talent, the thing she counts on most. In a story that will change the shape of the Otherworld forever, Armstrong gathers Elena, Clay, Paige, Lucas, Jamie, Hope, and other beloved characters, who soon learn that the greatest threat to supernaturals just may come from within. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
It's no secret that I adore Kelley Armstrong and that she's one of my favorite writers. I love everything she's ever written and, while Elena and Clay are my favorites, I've really enjoyed watching Savannah grow up over the years.

This story starts up right where we left off in Waking the Witch, with Savannah's discovery that she no longer has her powers. It's a huge blow to someone who has relied on her powers for more or less everything. After all, why bother to learn how to pick a lock when she can just use an unlock spell? Good thing Paige and Lucas insisted she learn various skills. Too bad she didn't really pay attention during their lessons...

Suffering from a serious case of denial, Savannah is afraid that without her powers, no one will want her. Surprisingly, Clay is the one to give her a serious wake-up call by slapping her in the face with the fact that powers or no, she is still Savannah. Even without her powers, she's a force to be reckoned with!

This story was amazing! While definitely Savannah's story, almost everyone makes an appearance as Kelley sets the scene for Something Big. Gave it a 4 out of 5 rating as it's a great story with great characters! Can't wait to see what happens next!


ARC received from Wunderkind PR in exchange for an honest review.

7 comments:

  1. I need to get caught up on my Kelly Armstrong reading. Glad you like dhtis one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually about to start The Summoning by the same author so it's great to know that she's one of your favourites. This sounds like a great book with everything I'd enjoy. I really like the idea of someone powerful losing their powers and then having to deal with being "ordinary." It's a good change from stories that are usually the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read this author yet but sounds like i need to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of Kelley's books yet, but you make it very clear that I NEED to! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to give her a try again. I think I read one years ago and enjoyed it, but I guess not enough to go back for more or I got distracted by other books. Books can easily distract me! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete