Review: Ruby Red | Alexia's Books and Such: Review: Ruby Red

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, August 22, 2011

Review: Ruby Red

by Kerstin Gier

Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!

Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts
Really enjoyed this one, and am looking forward to reading the rest of the series!

After a lifetime of watching her cousin Charlotte be groomed for time travel and knowing that she was nothing special in comparison, imagine everyone's surprise when it turns out that Gwyneth has the time travel gene, not Charlotte! Had to be a little like Jan Brady being elected prom queen over Marcia! In your face Charlotte! Ha! {Sorry....middle child syndrome rearing it's ugly head again... ;)}

When everyone finally accepts that Gwyneth is The One, she has a lot of catching up to do. Often on the fly, while travelling back and forth in time, and on top of keeping up with her schoolwork. Despite a lifetime of low expectations, Gwyneth proves to be a fast learner and I found myself being proud of her, as though she were a good friend instead of a character in a book. And speaking of good friends, Gwyneth's best friend Lesley is a huge help! So accepting and eager to research the past to try and help untangle the mess Gwyneth finds herself in.

No one really addresses why Gwyneth's mother lied about her birth date and didn't insist that she receive training along with Charlotte. I can understand her desire to give Gwyneth a normal childhood, but she left her horribly unprepared in case she turned out to have the time travel gene (which she did). I have an inkling of the explanation and hope that it's addressed further in the next book, but still....

Yes, I understand that Grace wanted to protect her child, but she wound up unintentionally harming her instead. If nothing else, Grace should have prepared Gwyneth herself if she didn't want to bring her to the attention of the mysterious secret society. While she doesn't explain why, I agree with Grace's mistrust and her warning to Gwyneth. Any secret society that doesn't permit female members in their Inner Circle cannot be trusted! Just you wait and see....I bet the Count is evil and that Gwyneth will wind up saving the day!

Anyway, in case you couldn't tell, I really enjoyed this book. Thought it set up the series nicely, yet still managed to tell a good story. I really liked Gwyneth. Didn't care for her time travel partner Gideon, her cousin Charlotte, or Charlotte's mother. Haven't made up my mind about the rest of Gwyneth's family, but really looking forward to seeing what happens next! Definietely an enjoyable read!



Review copy provided by Zeitghost Media in exchange for an honest review.


4 comments:

  1. Time travel isn't a genre I read much. Mostly because I usually find the theory to be riddled with holes. This one sounds really great though. Plus I am a sucker for guys names Gideon...Thanks for bringing this book to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, so it will be a series...interesting. Haven't read it yet myself, but that cover is certainly a traffic stopping red. The switcheroo in the story HAD to be upsetting to the cousin....could you imagine? Thanks for the share...and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd pick this up if only because of the beautiful cover. I'm so pleased to read you enjoyed it, thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your comparison with Jan and Marcia! LOL I have this book in my TBR pile and I am most definitely looking forward to it. I enjoyed your review! Happy Reading :)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u