Should I cheat on Hektor? | Alexia's Books and Such: Should I cheat on Hektor?

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, July 4, 2011

Should I cheat on Hektor?

This is Hektor, my adored nook (sorry for the glare, but Hektor doesn't photograph well). I resisted his charms for a long time, then spent a little time with him and fell in love. Had a slow start to our relationship, then things picked up (with netGalley playing an important role). With such easy access to eARCs, Hektor and I became closer than ever. I even bought him a couple of different covers, so he would always look his best!

He's become my constant companion when traveling, and I now pack a second battery as back-up so we can spend more time together on the road (or in the air). I don't really need the bells and whistles of a NOOK Color or an iPad. I prefer his e-ink screen, which is easier on the eyes. And I want him for reading, not to play Angry Birds or check my email. I bought an eReader, and that's all I want.

Alas, there is a whiff of trouble in paradise. As much as I love Hektor, I've started flirting with another....


Yes, I'm attracted to Hektor's younger brother, nook the Simple Touch Reader. While it has the same e-ink technology as Hektor, it's all on one touch screen instead of having separate reading and touch panels. Incredibly lightweight, both devices have the same size screens. I know, because I measured (size does matter!).

The Simple Touch is faster, the battery lasts longer, and it's supposed to provide a more pleasurable reading experience. Seems to be made of sturdier stuff as well (younger men often are). So now I'm torn.... Do I stay with my first love, or move on to the new & improved model? Original classic vs younger, faster, longer lasting & more pleasurable (why does this sound slightly dirty)?

And if I do decide to bring him home, do I have to name him Paris? Hektor's younger brother? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

*sigh*



P.S.
Barnes & Noble has upped the ante! Just found out that if I bring Hektor into a store and take little brother home with me, they'll throw in a SD card with free books! So very, very tempted now....

17 comments:

  1. You traitor. To turn your back on old fashioned reading material and now poor Hektor - where will it all end?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pooorrr Hektor! I would NEVER cheat on my nook Dobby!...lol well actually I guess I'm already two-timing him. I got a kindle DX from a friend of mine and I still use it...but I will always love Dobby more...the kindle DX is like...2 times bigger so I cant take it anywhere

    ReplyDelete
  3. Petty - but...but...Simple T is so cute! And while I haven't turned my back on physical books, I AM running out of room for them all!

    Liz - Thanks! :)

    Andra - Dobby sounds like a lucky nook! Maybe Hektor and I could have an open relationship like you and Dobby? *L*

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL this is really cute and funny.

    I say, keep Hektor! Touch screen things sometimes freeze up, and he seems like a good friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am afraid that I cannot help you with your dilemma as I really do not like e-readers, but I just had to tell you that this post made me laugh! Thank you for the smile for today and I do wish you luck in your romance. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still with Samuel, who is a nice old fasioned kind of man who wears tweed a lot. I've never even thought of flirting witha young man like Hector, let alone his younger brother. I just can't seem to do it, so I'm sorry that I can't help you out of the dilemma. I will say if you would have stuck with your Samueel, this thing would never have happened.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steph - Good point! And Hektor has been very loyal to me, never complains, and is always there when I need him. The perfect guy! ;)

    cat - Thanks!

    Ryan - Whoa, I feel like such a floozy now! *L*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stick with Hector - old is gold!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mighty tempting! I'm still with ole Koobe (my Sony Reader). Honestly, it probably would have been a long time before I purchased an eReader purely because of financial reasons. Luckily, I won Koobe two years ago! But if you have the funds and the new Nook is more convenient for you (plus the added perks they're willing to throw in), I say go for it! Good luck with your decision. =O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rimsa - There is something special about your first love... ;)

    Michelle - Think I'm going to stop by B&N this weekend to flirt some more. Who knows, I may bring home a new love!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I kind of dumped Naughty-my nook (yes I named her that) for Mighty-my IPAD. I love Net Galley and Galley Grab.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I can see where this love affair is going...LOL. ^_^ (Oh but if you're running out of room....you just need another bookcase, not an ereader version 2.0) *love my physical books*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Grace - Love that you named your nook "Naughty"! And agree about netGalley and Galley Grab, as I love the selection of eARCs they offer!

    GMR - I love my physical books too, but with 8 bookshelves, I've run out of wall space! :o

    ReplyDelete
  14. bookmagic - I know...feel very guilty. :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. I say go with the one that's best for you. I don't do e-readers so I really can't help. Making Life easier is what it's all about right ? Go from there. :)
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u