Friday, July 8, 2011

Review: Hexed

Hexed by Kevin Hearne

Source:  my nook

Rating:  4/5

Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, doesn’t care much for witches. Still, he’s about to make nice with the local coven by signing a mutually beneficial nonaggression treaty - when suddenly the witch population in modern-day Tempe, Arizona, quadruples overnight. And the new girls are not just bad, they’re badasses with a dark history on the German side of World War II... (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
Sometimes the second book in a series doesn't quite live up to the first book. No such worries in this one, as Hexed is every bit as good as Hounded, book one of the Iron Druid Chronicles! Atticus and Oberon are back and, while I have a serious crush on Atticus, I'm absolutely in love with Oberon and want to take him home with me to cuddle! Okay, an Irish wolfhound may or may not want to cuddle, but he's a seriously cool guy!

This one starts off with a bang, with Atticus being attacked on his front porch! He survives, and it turns out the attackers are a group of nasty witches that want to take over the territory. While Atticus doesn't seem to think that there is anything such as a good witch, he is willing to admit that there might be tolerable witches vs just plain evil ones. He decides he is willing to work with the remainder of the Polish coven in town in order to fight the new threat. He's grown to like the town and is tired of moving, so reluctantly decides to stay and help protect his home.

There are threats on several fronts:  the remaining demons that escaped in book one, evil witches who can fling a mean death hex, Bacchants who want to party like it's 1999, two goddesses taking an unwelcome interest in him, and noisy police detectives who have a feeling that Atticus isn't what he seems. Poor Atticus.

This was a fast, fun read full of action! Several mythological characters from different cultures show up and interact like it's no big deal. I loved that! Hearne is a very talented writer with a great sense of humor, who has come up with some great characters! Did I mention my love for Oberon? I want to learn more about Atticus and his friends, see him survive his latest adventures, and can't wait to read the rest of the series! If you haven't already, you really need to pick up these books!

Here's some links so you can read an excerpt of Hounded and Hexed, courtesy of Kevin's website. Enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. I really need to get caught up on this series! I read the first one a while back, before I was book blogging. And now all I wanna do is re-read it and get the next two! I think I remember not liking the name Atticus...it just makes me think of a dusty old attic...lol great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the second book in this series even better than the first. Great Review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading Hexed right now and hope to get into Hammered right after that. I love Oberon too! I actually listened to Hounded on audio...truly fantastic! The voice for Oberon just had me giggling all the time. I'm glad to see you liked it as much as I did :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andra - Atticus is an old-fashioned name, but the character is awesome!

    Jenn - I know! Just keeps getting better and better!

    Jackie - Oh, I'd love to hear Oberon, as I imagine him with such a droll voice! Need to start Hammered soon, as I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still need to read Hounded, one of the few urban fantasy books I'm interested in. Thanks for the review of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ryan - Think you would like Atticus and Oberon, so hope you give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad this one lived up to your expectations, I've heard many say it is even better than the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Petty - You're right, this series is just getting better with each book! Looking forward to book three!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooo, I won this one and the first book on a blog giveaway. :) ANd I can't wait to get them. These sound like amazing reads. Thanks for the wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the name Atticus from To Kill A Mockingbird. I definitely need to put Hounded and Hexed on my TRL.
    Thanks for your thoughts on this book.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love mythical creatures especially when they can live up to the hype of the first!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melissa - Congrats on the win! Hope you love them as much as I did!

    Carol - It is an unusual name, but somehow seems to fit. :)

    Liz - Couldn't agree with you more, as I love it when the sequel lives up to the promise of the first book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this series sounds interesting

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool! i find demon books really fascinating

    ReplyDelete