Didi | Alexia's Books and Such: Didi

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, June 6, 2011

Didi

This is Didi.

This is the last picture taken of her, as we had to have her put to sleep this weekend. She was on thyroid medication and I thought she was getting better, then she went downhill fast. Her vet agreed that she was suffering and that we needed to do what was best for her. Doesn't make it any easier, but the look on her face convinced me that she was in pain.

She would have been with me 12 years next month. She was not our first pet, but was with us the longest and was an incredibly sweet girl. I brought her home from the shelter in a misguided attempt to provide a friend for my other cat, Salem. Salem was not happy and I'm pretty sure she never forgave me, but Didi never gave up trying to make friends with her. When Salem passed away, we grieved together.

Didi was my reading buddy. She would curl up next to me on the couch, draping herself over my lap so I could cuddle with her. Going to be strange to read without her curled up next to me. It's strange being at the computer without her on my lap, trying to help me type.

It's harder than expected to deal with. The little things get to me....I'll check to see if she needs fresh water, only to see that her bowls are gone. I'll automatically look down to make sure she's not at the door as I'm going out. I still look for her. It's hard.

I'm going to take some time off. I have some posts already scheduled, but need time to deal with the loss of my baby girl. I'm a little embarrassed that it's hitting me this hard since I'm supposed to be the strong one, but my heart is broken.

She was a very good girl and will be missed....



13 comments:

  1. I'm so very sorry for your loss. And, more importantly, there's no need for apologies or embarrassment. Our pets truly become part of our family, which is why we mourn them as such. It's such a hard thing ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thats so sad. I remember when my dog died. It was so tramautic. They are like your child and all you do is cry. It's like you are missing a piece of yourself. Don't worry, in time it does get easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very sorry for your loss-My oldest cat, Charles a very imperial Siamese, is 18-his brother passed away 2 years ago at 16-we also have a one year old rescue cat-I have pics of Charles and his brother Yoda in the side bar of my blog-again I know this loss hurts very much

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry! I cried and cried as I read this. Every death of someone's beloved pet, especially cats, really gets to me. In time it will get easier, but you never forget and you always miss them. I lost Ethan 4 years ago and I still miss him. Take care of yourself and know that you're in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about your loss, never easy to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for your loss. It is never easy when you lose a pet, they are members of the family too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. *hugs* I'm so sorry for you loss. :/ Losing pets is so hard. They are our constant companion. We had to put down our cat a year ago and I still expect him to come running with this little belt jiggling. :(
    I'm not sure I even wants pets ever again. It's too hard when they suffer. My dog is currently very ill, I think he's suffering again and it's killing me. :/

    **hugs** Remember all the good times you had with Didi. It's what matters the most. *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, so sorry. We had to put my cat, Baby, down a couple of weeks ago. I know how you are feeling. What a sweet cat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm deeply sorry for your loss. Pets are members of are family, their passing is hard to deal with, it hurts. So don't feel that you need to apologize or feel out of place for reacting this way. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Terri, I'm so sorry to hear. Aww. I know it's hard but it sounds like you did the best thing for her at this time. I hope you are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a kitty she is over 20 and is on thyroid meds. I just can't put her down. My heart goes out to you. *virtual hug*

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. We all get to have our down moments, even the strong ones, so take the time off. You need it!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u