Book Review: Graveminder | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Graveminder

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Book Review: Graveminder

Graveminder by Melissa Marr

Source:  ARC provided by the publisher

Rating:  4/5

Melissa Mar is known to young adult readers as the author of the popular faery series Wicked Lovely. Her debut leap into adult fiction lands her in the small community of Claysville, a town where the dead walk free unless there their graves are not properly tended. Into this eerie maelstrom, Rebekkah Barrow descends as she returns to a place that she once believed she knew. Kelley Armstrong justly described Graveminder as "a deliciously creepy tale that is as skillfully wrought as it is spellbindingly imagined." A new genre author to watch. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
Rebekkah has itchy feet and can't seem to settle down anywhere. She moves from place to place, as she never quite feels at home in any one location. The only home she really has is with her grandmother, who she visits periodically. Unbeknownst to Rebekkah, her grandmother is a Graveminder, tasked with keeping the dead at rest and their town safe. Rebekkah is her heir, but her grandmother wanted her to have a taste of freedom and kept postponing telling Rebekkah of her destiny. Suddenly, her grandmother is gone and Rebekkah faces the strangest on-the-job training anyone has ever known!

Helping the Graveminder with their duties is the Undertaker. Like Rebekkah, Byron wasn't told of his destiny until it was almost too late. They learn that the Graveminder and Undertaker are tied together, which may explain their lifelong attraction to each other. With no time to figure out their feelings for each other, Rebekkah and Byron must work together to deal with the threat to their town and figure out why the dead are suddenly so restless.

There are actually two mysteries in this book:  why are the dead suddenly so restless, and what exactly are Rebekkah and Byron supposed to do to help? Unfortunately, the Graveminder's journals that her grandmother promised would answer Rebekkah's questions are missing, but at least they have the Undertaker's books. They are running out of time, as more and more residents are being attacked. I loved that I got so caught up in the story that I worried about what would happen next!

This was a great read! Haven't read anything similar to the graveminder/undertaker premise, and I really liked how Melissa kept us guessing. I enjoyed the relationship between Rebekkah and Byron, and understood her confusion even though I didn't agree with her hesitation (who wouldn't want a guy like Byron!?). Gave this a 4/5 as it was a great read, kept me guessing, and introduced me to something original, which I love! Melissa is a very talented author, and now I want to read more of her books!



8 comments:

  1. Glad you liked the book. I have a copy on my desk to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How have I not seen this one yet? It sounds awesome. Thanks for the review, Alexia! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a really fun book. I tend to like something that's a little out of the mainstream and this sounds like it fits the bill. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been debating whether or not to pick this one up but your review makes me want to go out and buy it now! =)

    Stopping by from the Saturday Situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drats, I'm kind of regretting not picking up a copy of this at BEA now :) Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so want this one NOW! When I saw it and read the synopsis I felt shivers go through my spine.

    Putting this on top of order list and great review Alexia!

    WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read this one. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have this as an ebook. Can't wait to read, when I have time. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u