Blog Tour: The Hypnotist | Alexia's Books and Such: Blog Tour: The Hypnotist

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, June 27, 2011

Blog Tour: The Hypnotist

The Hypnotist by M. J. Rose

Source: Review copy provided by Pump Up Your Book

Rating:  3/5

In Vienna a clandestine robbery inside a locked library leads to a brutal murder. A 1,500-year-old sculpture holds the Metropolitan Museum of Art hostage. A young woman’s fatal accident gives two lovers a chance to meet again, against all odds. A centuries-old massacre in Persia has modern-day repercussions in Iran. In New York City a Matisse masterpiece surfaces after twenty years, mutilated and vandalized.

A modern-day reincarnationist is hell-bent on finding tools to aid in past life regressions no matter what the cost - in dollars or lives.

Everything rests on the shoulders of Lucian Glass, special agent with the FBI’s Art Crime Team, who himself is suffering from the aftermath of a brutal attack, impossible nightmares and his own crisis of faith.

If reincarnation is real, how can he live with who he was in his past life? If it’s not, then how can he live with who he has become in the present?

My Thoughts:
This is listed as book #3 in Rose's Reincarnationist series, but I think it stood on it's own pretty well. I love books about reincarnation, so was happy to accept this review copy! That being said, I have mixed feelings about the story. There were so many characters whose lives intersected throughout the ages, and I don't know that I believe that we keep coming back with the same souls over and over again. To be honest, I'm not really sure what I believe, but to be stuck with the same people throughout all eternity? I just don't know...

There were several characters in this book, and at times I had a hard time keeping track of who was who, both in this life and previous lives. You know how they say that too many cooks spoil the broth? Well, too many characters seem to spoil the story for me. If I need a scorecard to keep everyone straight, well, that sort of ruins the fun for me.

The main story seems to revolve around Lucian Glass, a special agent for the FBI. Never thought much about the FBI having an Art Crime Unit, but guess it makes sense. At times I found myself more interested in the details of his job than his experiences with reincarnation!

He's trying to solve a case involving Memory Tools, which are said to aid in recovering memories of past lives. Well, that's just part of the case, as there's also an ancient statue, destroyed paintings, an old murder case, and a few other loose ends. Lots going on in this one, but it all tied together by the end.

Ultimately gave this a 3/5 rating as it was an interesting read and Rose is a talented writer, who kept pulling me back into the story. As I mentioned before, there are several characters to keep track of, which I sometimes have a problem keeping straight. Guess that makes me a lazy reader, but I'd rather not have to take notes in order to keep everything straight. Might have been an easier read if I'd read it straight through, but this was one of my lunchtime reads, so I only read it for an hour a day and it took awhile to finish.

Think this would be a great book for someone who likes several different plotlines interwoven throughout a story, as well as those interested in reincarnation, mysteries, and/or history. You might even learn a thing or two while reading!


4 comments:

  1. Reincarnation, mysteries, history, learning a thing or two while reading? You have me sold, sounds like a wonderful read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an interesting read. ANd I didn't realize there was a series, and it being the third. Thanks. Sounds like a lot going on with so many characters though. ;) Thanks for the great review of a new book for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was one of the books, that maybe last year I would have loved. This year though, I've read so many grat books that I loved, this one was just average.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I met her at BEA and got this one. I haven't read any of the series yet. I started her other series, The Halo Effect and it's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u