It's BEA, Baby! | Alexia's Books and Such...: It's BEA, Baby!

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

It's BEA, Baby!

Starting to get excited about BEA 2011! As I haven't received any email rejections, am assuming that my registration went through okay and that I'm officially going to Book Expo America 2011! Woo hoo! This will be my second year and now that I sorta, kinda know what to expect, I'm hoping that this year will be even better! I was so nervous last year that it wasn't funny, but once I got there, I had a great time!

Spent most of my time last year running back and forth from the autographing area to publisher booths for signings. so I wasn't able to make any of special events. Really want to make the Editors Buzz panels, especially the YA Editors Buzz. These are the books that the editors think will be huge, and they're usually right! Here's a sneak peek I found on the BEA website:


BEA Editors Buzz
•Michael Pietsch, v-p & publisher, Little, Brown, with The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbachand
•Alison Callahan, executive editor, Doubleday, with The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
•Denise Roy, senior editor, Dutton, with The Underside of Joy by Sere Prince Halverson
•Kathy Pories, senior editor, Algonquin, with Running the Rift by Naomi Benaron
•Alane Salierno Mason, v-p & senior editor, Norton, with Birds of Paradise by Diana Abu-Jaber
•Jenna Johnson, senior editor, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, with We the Animals by Justin Torres

BEA YA Editors Buzz
•Courtney Bongiolatti, editor, S&S Children's Publishing, with The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
•Margret Raymo, senior executive editor, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, with Au Revoir Crazy European Chick by Joe Schreiber
•Alvina Ling, executive editor, Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, with Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Turner
•Susan Chang, senior editor, Tor & Forge Books/ Macmillan, with Down the Mysterly River by Bill Willingham
•Erica Sussman, senior editor, HarperCollins Children’s Books, with The Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon



One of the things I found invaluable last year was a spreadsheet of the authors I didn't want to miss. I had "must-see" names as well as "if I have time" names on the list. There's just so much to see and do that I would have been lost without it. Kristi at The Story Siren was kind enough to share her YA list last year, which was a huge help!

Another great tip I received was to bring a suitcase. I thought that sounded a little silly, but was glad I listened to the experts as I filled that puppy up every day! Was well worth the $3 daily fee, and I made several trips back and forth to drop off books. I even put a lock on it, so had no worries about leaving my precious ARCs. My suitcase was one of the smallest there, but it helped me avoid being greedy so think I'll use the same one this year.

Let's see...what else? The food was kind of expensive inside, so I went outside and grabbed something from the hot dog vendor right outside the doors. She had more than just hot dogs, but I can't resist a good NY dog! Am going to bring a water bottle with me this year, as running around is thirsty work! Don't have a smartphone, but am planning on borrowing a NOOK Color from a friend so I can keep an eye on twitter and facebook. Was so exhausted last year that I never made it to any of the nightly events, but hope I'll be able to catch a second wind this time around.

Have noticed some buzz about BEA starting to show up in the blogosphere, so will keep an eye out for helpful hints. I've got my business cards, comfortable shoes, and am raring to go! Can you tell I'm excited? :)


9 comments:

  1. Oh, Alexia, I am SO ENVIOUS! I have to make it one of these years. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grief is it already that time of year again?

    So good to be back visiting, many thanks for your best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo, you are going to make me very jealous. I would love to go to bea but I just can't get there at this time. Some day, maybe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Less than two weeks to go! Can't wait, as I had such a great time last year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I'm so happy for you...and a bit jealous. *le SIGH* You'll have to tell us ALL about it though, okay? Living vicariously through your experience and all... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be going for the first time to BEA and BBC. Considering it's in NYC and I live in NYC. How can I not go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This time my hotel is 3 blocks away so i will be going back and forth too. then I have to find time to mail them all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This time my hotel is 3 blocks away so i will be going back and forth too. then I have to find time to mail them all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have so much fun!!!! I'm Armchair-ing it again this year, but can't wait to hear all about your experiences when you get back! :)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u