Book Review: Hounded | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Hounded
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. ~Douglas Adams

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Book Review: Hounded

Hounded by Kevin Hearne

Source: ARC provided by Amazon Vine

Rating: 4/5

Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old - when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.

Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he’s hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power - plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish - to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
Have to say that I really enjoyed this book, as it's not every day that you read about a centuries old Druid kicking some Celtic arse! :)

Really liked Atticus, who didn't seem world-weary despite being centuries old. He seemed pretty level-headed, and just wanted to be left in peace to live out the remainder of his life. Also loved his Irish wolfhound, Oberon. They have a great relationship, and seem to be real friends as well. Funny to be best friends with a wolfhound, but guess the same could be said of being friends with a Druid.

Atticus is living in Arizona because there aren't too many gods or fairies there. Something about a lack of gateways, as oak, ash, and thorn trees are in short supply in the desert. He runs an occult bookstore and makes a decent living seeling rare books online. All is well until an old enemy tracks him down. Atticus is tired of running and hiding, so a last stand is in order.

The Irish mythology was interesting, as I'm not really familiar with the various Celtic gods. There's a pronunciation guide at the beginning of the copy I received, but explanations before the book even begins worry me, so I tend to skip them. If I need a scorecard to keep track of all the players, then it's probably not the book for me. Felt the author did a good job of explaining who the various gods were without breaking the story's rhythm, so I never felt lost when The Morrigan or Flidais showed up. Nice job, Kevin!

Gave this one a 4/5 as I really liked the characters and the interaction between them, thought the plot made sense, it was well paced, and I got a kick out of the epilogue.  Kevin Hearne is a talented writer with a great imagination, and I'm looking forward to Hexed, the next book in the Iron Druid Chronicles!


4 comments:

  1. Ohhh I so want this one. Sounds like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo glad you enjoyed this one! That means I will enjoy it too. ;) I have it on my wish list. And it sounds great. I have found I've really enjoyed Celtic myth reads lately and this sounds like right up my alley. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want this one. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book! Or better said this audiobook. I didn't have the pronunciation problem because it was an audiobook I think it made my life simpler. (and damn the narrator was awesome! His voice for Oberon was so funny).

    I'm so excited about Hexed! It's a refreshing series. *g*

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u