Book Review: Cloaked | Alexia's Books and Such...: Book Review: Cloaked

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, May 23, 2011

Book Review: Cloaked

Cloaked by Alex Flinn

Source:  ARC provided by Amazon Vine

Rating: 3/5

I'm not your average hero. I actually wasn't your average anything. Just a poor guy working an after-school job at a South Beach shoe repair shop to help his mom make ends meet. But a little magic changed it all.

It all started with a curse. And a frognapping. And one hot-looking princess, who asked me to lead a rescue mission. There wasn't a fairy godmother or any of that. And even though I fell in love along the way, what happened to me is unlike any fairy tale I've ever heard. Before I knew it, I was spying with a flock of enchanted swans, talking (yes, talking!) to a fox named Todd, and nearly trampled by giants in the Everglades.

Don't believe me? I didn't believe it either. But you'll see. Because I knew it all was true, the second I got cloaked. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
This was an enjoyable read! An amusing twist on the classic tale of a poor boy going on a quest to win the hand of the beautiful princess, with references to a few other fairy tales thrown in along the way.

Johnny is a hard worker, who is doing his best to help his mother run their shoe repair shop in a swanky hotel. He secretly dreams of designing shoes, but doesn't really have the time or means to make that dream come true. Despite their hard work, Johnny and his mother can barely make ends meet. All that changes when a beautiful princess stops by his store to request his help in finding her brother. Who has been turned into a frog. By a witch. Uh-huh.

And so begins Johnny's quest to track down the missing Prince. There are talking animals, a magic cloak, elves, and multiple obstacles to overcome on his journey. Johnny seems to handle his abrupt introduction to this magical reality rather well, and does so with a sense of humor. Does he learn important life lessons along the way? Of course he does!

This was a fast, fun read, but think it may be aimed at a slightly younger crowd than the usual young adult book. It was amusing, and an easy read. Didn't love it, but I enjoyed it all the same and think it would be perfect for my young niece. Gave it a 3/5 as I liked it, but didn't love it. Flinn is a talented writer, and I'm looking forward to seeing what she comes up with next!


2 comments:

  1. Agreed! Sounds like an interesting mix of fairytale magic....might have to check out it in the near future. Thanks for the share! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the simplicity of the cover. Perhaps a tad too old for this one, I think I'll give it a miss, thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u