Monday, May 16, 2011

Blog Tour: When You Dare

When You Dare by Lori Foster

Source:  ARC provided by Meryl L. Moss Media Relations Inc.

Rating:  4/5

The tougher they are, the harder they fall…

Professional mercenary Dare Macintosh lives by one hard and fast rule: business should never be personal. If a cause appeals to him and the price is right, he'll take the mission he's offered. But then the lovely Molly Alexander asks him to help her track down the men who'd had her kidnapped - and for the first time, Dare's tempted to combine work with pleasure.

Fiercely independent, Molly vows to trust no one until she's uncovered the truth. Could the enemy be her powerful, estranged father? The ex-fiancĂ© who still holds a grudge? Or the not-so-shy fan of her bestselling novels? As the danger heats up around them, the only anchor Molly has is Dare himself. But what she feels for him just might be the most frightening thing of all…(Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
While I have read Lori's urban fantasy books under her L.L. Foster pen name, I haven't read anything under the Lori Foster brand. As it's been awhile since I've read any romance, I was happy to accept the invitation to participate in a blog tour for When You Dare. The cover did make me pause for a moment because, as attractive as that six-pack is, I needed to dig up a book cover in order to read it during my lunch hour. I admit it, that cover is a little embarrassing!

But the cover was the only thing that gave me pause, as the book got my attention on the first page and sucked me right in! Dare is sort of a gun for hire, who had just rescued a friend's sister from kidnappers hiding out in Mexico. A man of honor, he could not leave any of the other women behind and wound up bringing Molly back to the States with him. I really liked Molly, as she wasn't the stereotypical damsel in distress. Waking up in Dare's van, disoriented and in bad shape, she still had enough fight left to kick him in the face as he leaned in to check on her. My kind of heroine!

To say that Dare is quickly intrigued by Molly is putting it mildly. He's not quite sure what to do with her, as she has a backbone, is self-possessed, and refuses to go to a hospital or the police. Most of his rescues are returned to their family almost immediately, but Molly is not his typical rescue. She doesn't give in to hysterics, and he finds himself admiring her courage. As for Molly, she's determined that until she finds out who was behind her kidnapping, she can't trust anyone but Dare. For some reason, his presence alone makes her feel safe.

There are a few attempts to recapture Molly, and Dare finds his growing personal feelings getting in the way of his job. He's so concerned about Molly's care that he isn't his usual cold, calculating self and he's worried that he won't be able to keep her safe. Breaking his own rules, he takes her to the one place where he thinks she'll be safe - his home. *sigh* What a guy!

Really enjoyed watching Dare and Molly get to know each other, and thought the story was pretty good as well, as I had no clue as to who was behind the kidnapping. Good interaction between the characters, well paced plot, and I loved Dare's two dogs! That his dogs took an immediate liking to Molly sort of sealed the deal for Dare. Love a man who loves his dogs!

This is the first book in Lori's new Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor series. According to the Dear Reader letter at the start of the book, the series will feature uber-Alpha hunks, similar to private mercenaries. They're big, capable, a little dangerous and oh-so-sexy. I'm not normally a fan of Alpha males, but these men seem to have a sensitive side as well, that sort of balances out their uber-Alpha aspects. We've already met Trace, the brother of the girl Dare rescued in Mexico, so I'm looking forward to reading his story in Trace of Fever. And FYI - you really need to check out the below book trailer! Let's just say I had to watch it more than once, as I didn't realize there were sub-titles the first few times.... *fans self* ;)



lorifoster.com

5 comments:

  1. Funny that you should mention the cover as it certainly puts me off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All new to me. :) Author and the series. But sounds great! And that video! WOW! I love those men. ;) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, yeah...can't say this one's for me but I bet you got a few interesting looks toting that cover around. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of Lori's books. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You all had probs with the cover? The cover had nothing over the pic I chose for my book boyfriend this week (it was Dare). *giggles* Oh I loved the cover. I'll take me one. Oh and I agree this was a fun book. Very swoon-worthy and loved that he loved his "girls". Oh and that trailer... *steals fan to fan self* ;D

    ReplyDelete