Book Review: Die For Me | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Die For Me

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, April 18, 2011

Book Review: Die For Me

I liked both Vincent and Kate, most of Vincent's friends, and thought it was original. Didn't really care for Kate's sister, but I did like the grandparents.
Die For Me by Amy Plum

Source: netGalley
Rating:  4/5

My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything. Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.

Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen. Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies . . . immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.

While I'm fighting to piece together the remnants of my life, can I risk putting my heart - as well as my life and my family's - in jeopardy for a chance at love? (Goodreads synopsis)

My Thoughts:
This one was a little different, in that Kate's grief over losing her parents seems very real. I can't imagine how it would feel to suddenly lose both of your parents, and my heart went out to her. She is barely holding on when Vincent comes into her life. They should never have gotten together, for various reasons, but love doesn't always listen to reason. Kate at least fights her attraction to Vincent, although not very hard. I don't blame her because, let's face it, he's hot! ;)

The one thing I didn't really care for was that everyone in the book was beautiful. I'm sorry, but there weren't very many beautiful teens when I was a teenager, so why are so many teen main characters beautiful? Kate and her sister Georgia are beautiful. Vincent and his friends are all beautiful. Paris is beautiful. Okay, the city of Paris is beautiful, but why is everyone else? Kate doesn't think she's beautiful, which is refreshing, but the fact remains that everyone else thinks she is gorgeous, then she must be gorgeous. And if Vincent's history is true, his physical description doesn't ring true. Same for his kindred. Petty, but annoying.

But that was a small thing, and didn't really take away from my overall enjoyment of the book. Didn't really get the whole idea behind Vincent and his friends, but have to admit that I haven't come across this kind of character before. I like originality, and liked the idea even though I didn't fully understand it.

Gave this one a 4/5 as I liked both Vincent and Kate, most of Vincent's friends, and thought it was original. Didn't really care for Kate's sister, but I did like the grandparents. The plot dragged a little in places, but overall was nicely paced. Looking forward to seeing what else Amy comes up with, as I think she is a very talented writer!


5 comments:

  1. This one may hit a little too close to home for me with all the teenagers being beautiful....

    LOL - KIDDING :)

    I do love that dress thought on the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful cover, a thought provoking review and yet I'm still not convinced I want to read this - for one thing I'm not too sure I'd be able to identify with all these beautiful people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was curious about this one. I've started to see it around and wanted to know more about it. :) So glad you reviewed it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i read this and quite enjoyed it!although i would have liked more twists and turns in the plot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, im looking forward to the Jules-Vincent-Kate love triangle progressing in the sequel

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u