Book Review: Pale Demon | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Pale Demon

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Book Review: Pale Demon

Book Review:  Pale Demon | Alexia's Books and SuchPale Demon by Kim Harrison

Source: Review copy provided by publisher

Rating:  5/5

Condemned to death for black magic and shunned, Rachel Morgan has three days to somehow get to the annual witches convention in San Francisco and clear her name. If she fails, the only way she can escape death is to live in the demonic ever after . . . for ever after.

Banned from the flight lists, Rachel teams up with elven tycoon Trent Kalamack, headed for the West Coast for his own mysterious business. But Rachel isn’t the only passenger along for the ride. Can a witch, an elf, a living vampire, and a pixy in one car survive for over 2,300 miles? And that’s not counting the assassin on their tail.

A fearsome demon walks the sunlight, freed after centuries of torment to slay the innocent and devour souls. But his ultimate prey is Rachel Morgan. While the powerful witch with nerves of steel will do whatever it takes to stay alive, even embracing her own demonic nature may not be enough to save her. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
Just when I thought that the series was losing steam, Kim steps up to the plate and knocks this one out of the ballpark! This has got to be my favorite Rachel Morgan book so far! Very impressed, as I couldn't put this one down and was on the edge of my seat at times! Very exciting stuff happens, and it will keep you guessing! Can you tell that I really, really love this one? *L*

Rachel is on her way to San Francisco to attend the annual Witches Convention in order to publicly apologize and have her shunning revoked. Her partners, Jenks and Ivy, accompany her. Rachel being Rachel, nothing goes as planned and she can't even make it past airport security. Trent Kalamack gets involved, and what was supposed to be a quick flight turns into the Great American Road Trip!

And what a trip it turns out to be! Almost non-stop action, with several surprises along the way! Rachel is nothing if not adaptable, and she has an amazing ability to land on her feet no matter what gets thrown at her. She may be scared out of her mind half the time and get hurt both physically and mentally, but she's always been a survivor. The thing with survivors though is that sooner or later, their luck runs out.

Love, love, love this book! Kim has really outdone herself, in that there were several sections where I was actually holding my breath, waiting to see what happened next! Great action, some of our favorite characters are changing in ways I didn't expect, and I even found myself warming towards Al (Rachel's demon teacher)! Gave this one a 5/5 as I couldn't put it down!


10 comments:

  1. Now see this is a review I need to pass along to my bkstore coworker. She LOVES this author's work and devours them as fast as they are released. Me? Haven't tried this author as of yet....maybe in the future, but for now, passing on your amazing review. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of these books. Sounds like I need to! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was m favorite in the series so far I think! I agree that there is tons of action! Always something happening , I love it! I know what you mean about warming to Al, I did too. For me though, I am all about Trent! I know I might be crazy but I have been a Trent fan from the start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GMR - Oh, please give Rachel a try! Think you'll really love her partner, Jenks, the most awesome pixie ever! :D

    Shannon - Hope you'll give this series a shot, as Kim is an incredibly talented writer!

    Shannon - Agreed! Loved seeing Trent out of his element. And the ending was a really nice surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review! I also hadn't heard of this one, but it definitely sounds like I'm missing out on a great, fast-paced action read. I'll have to check it out sometime, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a lot of fun but I need to know how many books are in the series before I even think about it. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I felt pretty much the same way. I wasn't as impressed with the last couple of Rachel Morgan books but this one was so enjoyable that it made me giddy as I read it. I hope the next one keeps that momentum up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to read this one. Love the series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally LOVE Rachel Morgan...The series is so great! I esp love Jenks and I hope I get a lot of pixie action in this book...along with lots of Ivy and Trent too :D

    hense1kk AT cmich DOT edu

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's nice to know that this series is more than maintaining and still going strong. I've not read the last few books but I do have them.
    (\___/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u