Book Review: Enchanted No More | Alexia's Books and Such...: Book Review: Enchanted No More

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, March 11, 2011

Book Review: Enchanted No More

Book Review: Enchanted No More | Alexia's Books and SuchEnchanted No More by Robin D. Owens

Source:  Review copy provided by Amazon Vine

Rating:  4/5

As one of the last surviving Mistweavers, half-blood Jenni knows what it's like to be caught between two worlds; the faery and the human. But the time has come to choose. The Lightfolk require her unique talent for balancing the elements to fend off a dangerous enemy and rescue her missing brother. Only for Rothly will Jenni deal with those who destroyed her life. Only for him will she agree to work with her ex-lover, Aric, and revisit the darkest corners of her soul. For a reckoning is at hand, and she alone has the power to hold back the forces of dark. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
Robin D. Owens is one of my favorite authors and as I absolutely love her Summoning series, was very excited to see that she is starting a brand new series! Despite what I thought was a slow start, the story soon picked up and really sucked me in!

Jenni is a halfling; half human, quarter djinn, quarter elf. Her family was the only family capable of balancing the elements; adjusting Earth, Air, Fire, and Water into a perfect balance. Fifteen years ago, most of them perished in an ambush by the Dark Ones while opening a portal for the Eight (rulers of Lightfolk). A horrible massacre where Jenni and her oldest brother were the only survivors. So when the Eight send word that they need her help once more, Jenni declines. Unfortunately, she is soon forced to help when her crippled brother disappears while trying to fulfill the mission on his own.

This is listed as book one, so the slow start may have been due to setting up the series groundwork. Jenni is a magical being, who has turned her back on her heritage and is living in the human world. Jenni is soon dragged back into the faery world, and must deal with her grief at losing her family, her distrust of the Eight, and her feelings for her ex-lover. All that on top of rescuing her brother and completing her mission.

Jenni may have "issues" with authority, guilt about failing her family, and lingering angst over Aric's betrayal, but she is not a stupid woman. She understands that she really has no choice about the mission, so makes the best of things and tries to negotiate the best terms for her and her brother. Despite being disowned by Rothly, she still cares for the last remaining member of her family and only wants what's best for him. She is a passionate, caring, talented heroine that I wanted to get to know better.

Think this will be another great series for Robin, as I really liked Jenni, Aric, the brownies who moved in with Jenni, and the various halflings she befriends! An interesting plot, well paced action, good character development, and even the bad guys were interesting! Robin has another winner on her hands!


7 comments:

  1. Ooh...I like the sound of this one. Definitely agree with you on the slow start reasoning though...sometimes it's necessary when creating a new world. Might have to check this one out. Thanks for sharing! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of this before. Okay... you've convinced me. I need to add this to my wishlist. This sounds like it ends up being a good read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this book but it looks interesting. I find that I end up liking books that start out slow but have a great ending. Also, the opposite...books that are really good but the ending is horrible. Just ruins it for me! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is going on the want list right now. lol. I think I love the way this sounds. :) Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent review!! You get so in depth into your insights...thanks so much for sharing...it makes me think about how maybe I should target my own reviews for my own blog....Thanks for sharing..I'll have to add this to my ongoing TBR list.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u