Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Book Review: Eat Prey Love

Book Review: Eat Prey Love | Alexia's Books and SuchEat Prey Love by Kerrelyn Sparks

Source: ARC provided through Amazon Vine

Rating: 3/5

Wanted: Bride. Must love children. Mortals need not apply.

Carlos Panterra is looking for a mate, a woman who will love and care for the young orphans he's recently taken under his wing (or paw, as the case may be). When the shape shifter spies the beautiful Caitlyn, it's like sunshine amidst the darkness. At last, he's found the perfect woman, except . . .

Caitlyn Whelan is mortal. Worse, her father is the head of a CIA agency bent on hunting the undead. Still, Caitlyn knows that Carlos is the man for her, shape shifter or not. So she jumps at the chance when her sister offers her a job to work with him, determined to show Carlos their attraction is more than just animal magnetism. But danger lurks in the night, and their unleashed, untamed passion might just get them both killed . . . (Goodreads)


My Thoughts:
This book originally caught my eye because of the title. Love it! It tells me that the author has a sense of humor, and I love authors with a sense of humor! While it probably won't age well, I really got a kick out of the takeoff on Eat Pray Love (which I have no plans on reading, am tired of hearing about, and think deserves to be mocked, but that's just me). So I fell for this one before I even opened the cover. Major cover/title love!

The story itself wasn't bad, but I'm not a big paranormal romance fan and tend to skip over the steamy parts. I'm a little old school and prefer to leave the steamy parts to my imagination instead of having it spelled out for me (which is never as much fun!). The main characters are Caitlyn and Carlos. Caitlyn is a mortal woman who finds out that her sister married a vampire, and that the handsome stranger across the room is actually a shape shifter. All in all, I'd say that Caitlyn takes it pretty well. I doubt that I would be that calm about learning that my niece and nephew, who I didn't even know existed a few short weeks ago, were half vampire and that I had the hots for a werepanther!

Caitlyn has the amazing ability to learn any language almost immediately. Caitlyn and her sister Shanna both have psychic abilities, which they inherited from their father. Oh yeah, did I mention that dear old dad works for a secret CIA task force that wants to wipe vampires off the face of the Earth? Including his son-in-law! And I thought MY father-in-law was bad! *L*

The plot was just okay, mainly revolving around Carlos trying to track down other werepanthers in order to ensure the survival of his species, and Caitlyn messing up his plans. After a horrible massacre five years ago, Carlos and five orphans are the only ones left. Caitlyn manages to muscle in on join his latest expedition because, well, he's hot.

I didn't really care for Caitlyn at this point because hello, the man thinks he is the only adult werepanther left! It's kind of important that he find a mate so that his entire species isn't wiped out! Yes, there are five children left, but they're growing up together and then expected to mate. If they don't get a choice in mates, why would Caitlyn think Carlos should get a choice? Yes, Caitlyn and Carlos have the hots for each other, but she very selfishly decides "true love" is more important than protecting your entire species. Actually, it's more like "true lust" as she doesn't really know Carlos all that well yet. Sorry, I seem to be ranting, but this really annoyed me...

So on the plus side, I really enjoyed the author's writing style and sense of humor. On the negative side, Caitlyn's selfishness really turned me off. She is letting her libido interfere with a man's noble duty! Yeah, yeah, yeah, someone will probably point out that true love conquers all and that alls well that ends well, but she still annoyed me enough to downgrade the book to a 3/5 rating. I did like the author's style enough that I'm going to pick up another one of her books and see if I get along with other characters any better. Don't see how they could be much worse... ;)

Would love to hear if anyone else had the same strong reaction to Caitlyn? Am I overreacting? Inquiring minds would like to know!

10 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a dating agency for supernaturals. This sounds like my type of read and I'm sure I'd appreciate the humour, thanks for recommending it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you're overreacting but your review definitely got my attention! The matchmaking service sounds funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm . . . I'd have to read it to see if I agreed.
    BTW, thanks for signing up for a review of Witch Song. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I'd love it if you added it to your DAC tour.
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, cool post. I have been thinking about this topic,so thanks for sharing. I will probably be subscribing to your blog. Keep up great writing!!!

    Jeep Air Conditioner Compressor

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can appreciate the title humor (though I do plan on reading the one it's taken from soon...^_^)...but alas, the genre itself turns my head away from the novel. Like you, I prefer the steaminess left undetailed. Interesting review though and kudos for giving it a chance! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would really like your post ,it would really explain each and every point clearly well thanks for sharing.
    Chevrolet HHR Turbo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a better-quality article as they all are. I make fun of been wonder wide this an eye to some beat now. Its great to receive this info. You are fair and balanced.

    Chevrolet W7500 Turbocharger

    ReplyDelete