Friday, March 18, 2011

Book Review: Darkness Becomes Her

Book Review: Darkness Becomes Her | Alexia's Books and SuchDarkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton

Source: gift from 365 Days of Novel Writing

Rating: 4/5

Ari can’t help feeling lost and alone. With teal eyes and freakish silver hair that can’t be changed or destroyed, Ari has always stood out. And after growing up in foster care, she longs for some understanding of where she came from and who she is. Her search for answers uncovers just one message from her long dead mother: Run. Ari can sense that someone, or something, is getting closer than they should. But it’s impossible to protect herself when she doesn't know what she’s running from or why she is being pursued.

She knows only one thing: she must return to her birthplace of New 2, the lush rebuilt city of New Orleans. Upon arriving, she discovers that New 2 is very...different. Here, Ari is seemingly normal. But every creature she encounters, no matter how deadly or horrifying, is afraid of her. Ari won’t stop until she knows why. But some truths are too haunting, too terrifying, to ever be revealed.

My Thoughts:
Am I the only one who didn't know that Kelly Keaton was really Kelly Gay? I really enjoyed her Charlie Madigan series, so was happy to find out her new young adult series is just as good!

Ari is the main character, a teenager abandoned by her mother as a young child, who had to grow up fast as a foster child shuffled from house to house. One of the unique things about Ari is her beautiful silver hair, which cannot be altered. Not that Ari hasn't tried, but despite cutting it, dying it, and even burning it off with acid, her hair always returns to it's original state. Ari considers herself a freak because of her hair and eyes, and can't see her own beauty.

Trying to track down her past and discover her roots, Ari discovers a letter from her mother telling her that she wasn't crazy, and to run. From what or from who, the letter doesn't say, just that Ari should RUN. This sets Ari off on a journey that she wasn't expecting, where she finds almost more questions than answers.

Really liked Ari. Despite feeling like an outsider most of her life, Ari doesn't give up. She feels strangely at home in New 2, makes some friends, and maybe even finds herself a new family. She also finds a lot of danger, and has to fight for her life more than once.

Thought that this was a great start to a new series, but it could also be read as a stand-alone title. Great new characters, a well paced plot, lots of action, and another shining example of Kelly's talent. I love this author! And I want more! I want to find out what happens to Ari and her new friends, especially little Violet. Was really intrigued by the idea of New Orleans turning into a haven for the paranormal after the hurricanes, and becoming a land unto itself. Want to see what happens with Ari and Sebastian. And the villains! Don't think I've even seen bad guys like this before, and they were awesome! Looking forward to the sequel, as the book is just that good!

Many thanks to my friend for sending me this book! You were right J, I loved it!

6 comments:

  1. As soon I as I saw you reviewed this, I had to see what you thought. Why? Well it sounds like a good read, the cover is creepy yet drawing and...I was curious. ^_^ (Oh and on the name change thing, don't know either one so you're a step ahead of me.) Sounds like a great start to a series I need to keep an eye one *jots note for later*. If you like the New Orleans aspect, you should check out CRUSADE by Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie....similiar situation there. Thanks for sharing..and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is considered Young Adult? I am looking for good new books to find for my library. This one sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My YA ban is starting to have cracks around it. I'm going to have to remember this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I really want to read this! Although the cover isn't appealing at all. I'm glad it has good story and a good set of characters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's it! Gotta get this one NOW!

    Your review clinched it and now I really have to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, so glad you enjoyed reading this one! I want it! And I'm sorry, I didn't know you didn't know Kelly was Kelly. :) Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete