Sunday, February 27, 2011

Review: The Youngest Templar: Orphan of Destiny

 The Youngest Templar: Orphan of Destiny by Michael P. Spradlin The Youngest Templar: Orphan of Destiny by Michael P. Spradlin

Source:  ARC provided by Media Masters Publicity

Rating:  3/5

Tristan and his companions - the fiery archer Robard Hode and the assassin maid Maryam - have escaped to England. But tragedy has occurred to Tristan's beloved abbey while they were on the Third Crusade, and Robard's home in Sherwood Forest suffers under the rule of the Sheriff of Nottingham. Many obstacles still prevent them from delivering the Holy Grail into safe hands. Tristan must defeat the evil Sir Hugh in one final battle. And he must learn the secret of his birth, a secret Richard the Lionheart and Eleanor of Aquitaine are willing to kill to protect! (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:

Even though this is the third book in the series, I had no trouble keeping track of everything and never felt lost. While I enjoy watching series characters grow and joining them on their adventures, I'm impressed when an author is able to have a series book stand on it's own. I've lost track of how many times I've picked up a book and had no idea what was going on because I didn't know that it was part of a series.

The main character is Tristan, a squire who's on a quest for his lord knight. He's assisted on his journey by talented archer Robard Hode and a female assassin named Maryam. Robard grew up in Sherwood Forest, is attracted to Maryam, and discovers a nemesis in the evil Shire Reeve of Nottingham. They also meet several other characters inspired by the Robin Hood legend, such as Friar Tuck, Little John, and Will Scarlett. I may be easily amused, but I really enjoyed the Robin Hood tie-in!

This was a fun story for me, but I wasn't sure if the target audience was young adult or middle grade. There were parts that might not be appropriate for MG, as there is some violence and people get hurt as well as actually die. But other sections seemed aimed at a younger audience. Could just be me, but I was a little confused on whether or not this would be suitable for my niece. Ultimately decided no because she's too young, but depending on the child, they might be able to handle it.

Gave this a 3/5 as it was an okay story for me and I enjoyed it, but it didn't wow me. Was a little young for my tastes, but I've seen other reviewers that have loved it. If you've read this one, I'd be curious to hear what you thought of it and what age group you think it's aimed at?




4 comments:

  1. Are you avoiding me? ;) You can tell me the truth. I'm tough...sort of.

    I sent you an email and left a message on GoodReads. This is my last attempt, because I'd hate to look like a stalker. (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally not avoiding you and am sending you an email now! I love & adore you J Kaye! *mwah* :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, this is a new book to me. I've not heard about it until now. :) Thanks! Sounds interesting and one the kid would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed on the awe that stand alone books within a series provide...especially when the "catch up" (or recap) isn't extrememly obvious; some how they just work you into the loop. While not a book for me I'm afraid, I certainly enjoyed your honest review...as well as the mention of Robin Hood and his merry men (*jots note to read the classic soon*). Happy reading! ^_^

    ReplyDelete