Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Review: The Radleys

 The Radleys by Matt Haig The Radleys by Matt Haig

Source:  Review copy provided by the publisher

Rating:  4/5

Meet the Radleys Peter, Helen and their teenage children, Clara and Rowan, live in an English town. They are an everyday family, averagely dysfunctional, averagely content. But as their children have yet to find out, the Radleys have a devastating secret

From one of Britain’s finest young novelists comes a razor-sharp unpicking of adulthood and family life. In this moving, thrilling and extraordinary portrait of one unusual family, The Radleys asks what we grow into when we grow up, and explores what we gain - and lose - when we deny our appetites.(Goodreads synopsis)

My Thoughts:
Can't say that I've ever read a book about a family of abstaining vampires before. And who knew that vampires could even have children, much less that the children would turn out to be vampires as well! Really liked that the kids had no idea of their heritage, and were sick for most of their lives as a result. Very original!

The Radleys come across as your stereotypical, repressed British family. A nervous mother, a milquetoast father, and two sickly children. The son is actually a bully-magnet and has no friends. The kids are obviously miserable, from sensitivity to sunlight to constant headaches and nausea, so I couldn't understand why the parents were so adamant that they never know their true natures.

Things come to a head one night when daughter Clara is pushed too far and her true nature asserts itself. While the rest of her family tries to deal with the fallout, Clara seems to blossom. Uncle Will is called to try and help clean up the mess, but only manages to make things worse.

Gave this one a 4/5 as I really enjoyed this twist on your typical vampire tale. I really liked watching the children, Clara and Rowan, deal with the ramifications of Clara's act. From learning what it means to be a vampire, to dealing with the fact that their parents had lied to them their entire lives, to adjusting to their new appetites. Felt they were much more interesting than the adults. Think that this was a very original, well written story, and I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know the Radleys. Even if you don't like vampire stories, I think you might like this one!


Find out more about The Radleys here: http://www.radleysbook.com/





7 comments:

  1. Oh oh...your intro made me think of another series you might enjoy then, has a similiar aspect with the vampires. The Society of S is the first book in the series (by Susan Hubbard)....I've only read the first two (I think...hehe) but certainly enjoyed it. Anywho, back to your review....sounds like a great push for being who you are, showing your true self as opposed to an imagined fascade. Great job Alexia! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've been curious about this one. So glad you enjoyed it. I think I'll add it to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, this just sounds too cool! I love this idea. I am so glad you enjoyed this one and shared the review with us. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review! I was really intrigued by the cover but I've gotta say that I didn't have such a good introduction to books about vampires :/ So I normally pass them by. I will however check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This seems like a great dysfunctional family! I'm definitely adding it to my TBR thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adding this one since there's nothing better than getting a new perspective on the typical fang tale.

    4 out of 5 is a bonus and mean "hot dog" time to outwit my budget again.

    Great review and love the cover for this one. The black against the white fence with the touch of seeping blood at the tip of the fence. Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the review. Not sure if this is my kind of book but I need to get it and give a chance.

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete