Book Review: Here Lies Bridget | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Here Lies Bridget

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, February 4, 2011

Book Review: Here Lies Bridget

Book Review:  Here Lies Bridget Here Lies Bridget by Paige Harbison

Source:  netGalley

Rating:  3/5

Heroine, Bridget Duke, rules her high school, but when she crashes her car and ends up in limbo, she must confront the people she has wronged, all of whom want her to go to hell. The outcome of these meetings will decide her final destination. (Goodreads synopsis)

My Thoughts:

Bridget is not a nice girl. There's no way around it, she's just mean and shows no redeeming qualities. I didn't like her and, unlike other heroines in similar books, she didn't grow on me at all. I liked her time in limbo and how she had to come face to face with the consequences of her actions, but the ending was a little rushed for me and seemed too easy.

It's a little strange to read a story where you don't particularly like the main character, but enjoy everything else about the book. I liked the idea of limbo and being judged. I also liked the secondary characters, even though stepmother Meredith and ex-boyfriend Liam were unbelievably understanding and kind to Bridget. Would have liked to have seen more of Michelle, one of Bridget's friends, and wish she had a larger part.

Gave this one a 3/5 as I liked the story well enough, just not the main character. Also didn't care for the ending, which tied things up too neatly.  Actually wished the book could have been longer so we could see more of Bridget's possible redemption and get a better feel for her motivations.





5 comments:

  1. Love the cover...so bright and cheery and then you see the toe tag. Wow though...you liked the book but Bridget didn't grow on you ...at all? O_O How curious. May have to check it out to see first hand what you mean. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this one around a bit and it sounds good. I have read books where I did not care for the main character and it makes it hard to really "feel" the book, I think. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard that about the main character. Don't think this one is for me. I usually have to like the main character. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about the main character. I just finished a book where I didn't care for the main character at all, and it resulted in me not really liking the book. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been debating about this but think I will skip it now.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u