Review: Tempest's Legacy | Alexia's Books and Such...: Review: Tempest's Legacy

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, January 24, 2011

Review: Tempest's Legacy

Tempest's Legacy by Nicole PeelerTempest's Legacy by Nicole Peeler

Source:  netGalley

Rating:  5/5

Jane True has become proficient in basic magics, confident in herself and her abilities, and happily rooted in Rockabill. Her life is still divided between her supernatural brethren and her human friends and family, but it’s a division she maintains with very little trouble. Everything changes, however, when Anyan brings Jane news that will force her to confront her dichotomized existence - supernatural females are being murdered, or have simply disappeared....

Eventually, the trio stumble upon a secret so huge that it threatens to disrupt the tenuous traditions keeping humanity safe from the supernatural community that has, up until now, been content to lurk in the shadows. Will they uncover the truth in time to save Jane’s friends? And just how far will Jarl go to protect his secrets? (Goodreads synopsis)

My Thoughts:
Jane True is one of my favorite heroines! She's not helpless, yet she's not a hardcore superhero either. She's an entirely believable character that I'd like to be friends with, and I cheered right along with her as she discovered her strengths along the way!

Jane has been training hard, and muscles her way into an investigation with Anyan and Ryu. Jane finds that it's hard to gauge your own progress when you're surrounded by warriors, but learns she's pretty hardcore herself! Go Jane!

The main plot is the group tracking down who is behind horrible experiments on halflings and purebloods, but the good guys always seem to be one step behind the bad guys and the labs are empty by the time they're raided. There worst part is that there doesn't seem to be any point to some of the experiments and they're just an exercise in sadistic cruelty. No wonder Jane feels numb at times!

There's a great little side plot with Julian, one of Ryu's deputies and a fellow halfling. I've always liked Julian, so am glad that he had a little more to do in this one. Would love to see more of him in the future (hint, hint Nicole!). Yea Team Halfling!

Gave this a 5/5 as it kept me up much too late and I couldn't put it down! Just had to find out what happened next! As I may have mentioned a time or two, I adore Jane. She has a great sense of humor, is sometimes scared out of her wits but does what needs to be done, and finally resolves her relationships with the two men in her life. That part was important, as I get incredibly annoyed with characters who can't make up their mind and string their men along (Yes, I'm talking to you Stephanie Plum!). Jane is brave and funny and loyal and self-deprecating and wonderful. Definitely one of my favorite series!



3 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks wonderful, I'm so glad that the heroine of the story eventually discovered the difficulties in keeping her life in seperate compartments - I think this makes the book sound so much more realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I will admit, I didn't read the whole review as I have the book on my shelf and want to be surprised. :) But I saw you gave it a 5/5 and I agree with you I love Jane! lol.

    (I so desperately want to get to this one soon!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love it when a book drives you to stay up later and later and later and...well you know. ^_^ Said it before and I'll say it again...gotta love the covers on this series! The colors, the pictures themselves...all show the connection but still individually unique. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u