Review: hush, hush | Alexia's Books and Such...: Review: hush, hush

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Review: hush, hush

hush, hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
hush, hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Source:  Personal Library

Rating:  3/5

For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her...until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment, but after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is far more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel. For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life. (Goodreads synopsis)

My Thoughts:
I had mixed feelings about this one. It sat on my shelf for awhile because so many of my fellow bloggers raved about it when it first came out that I was hesitant to read it in case it didn't live up to all of the hype. Plus, I'm a little quirky and don't like to jump on bandwagons and read what everyone else is reading. So it sat and patiently waited.

Was it worth the wait? I don't think so. I'm still scratching my head over why there were so many rave reviews about Patch. I didn't like him. At all. He was unpleasant with no redeeming qualities, and I just didn't get it. He was stalking Nora, acted creepy, and did I mention that I didn't like him?

Nora was an okay heroine, and I liked that she made stupid mistakes that teenage girls are bound to make, but wasn't horror-movie-stupid. You know, where the teenage girl goes into the basement where the killer is hiding even though she should know better? Anyway, I liked Nora well enough, but didn't like her taste in boys.

Gave this one a 3/5 rating as I couldn't get past my annoyance with Patch. I still wanted to finish the book and find out what happened, and will no doubt read the sequel. I wasn't happy with the ending, but think that Becca is a talented writer and worth reading. I know I'm in the minority here, but think how boring things would be if we all had the same taste in books! Here's hoping the next one is better!


12 comments:

  1. Well, I for one completely agree with you. My views on the book are pretty much identical to yours. I read Hush, Hush because a friend raved about it and loved Patch so much, but I ended up really disliking him. When you find out what his goal has been all along, and he doesn't seem to think there's anything wrong with that, well that just took away any little positive feeling I might have had about him.
    I have to say, though, most of my friends have read the book now, and most actually agree with me.

    And a lot of the book seems to be confusing, because we can't agree on what happened in some places! lol
    We argue about whether it's Patch we meet in the Prolog or not, for example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the book, but I wasn't a huge fan of Patch as boyfriend material for Nora. Once upon a time, I would have thought it was all sooo sexy and intense in a love a bad boy cliche. All I had to do was marry one of those jerks to have reality crash in, lol! You must have a good head on your shoulders to not get sucked into the lame idea that girls should put up with this behavior. I have to be honest, Nora's best friend annoyed the crap out of me. Way more than Patch. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the book as well. I read it in a couple of days (which is fast for me :-). I think a lot of the book's appeal was lost on me, though, because I didn't like Patch.

    I understand he's supposed to be the loveable bad boy. My problem was that I didn't find him loveable. For me, the appeal of a bad boy is that there is usually a vulnerable boy underneath the surface. I didn't get that with Patch.

    I don't know about me having a good head on my shoulders lol! Most of my reading friends are a lot younger than me, so that probably has something to do with it. I guess I'm not as ruled by my hormones as I used to be. ;-)

    I agree with you about Vee too. I'll probably read Crescendo, but it's not at the top of my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not read it but I know I hate when books are so highly reviewed and I don't like them. I feel like there is something wrong with me. I tried to read and listen to ROOM and just could not do it. Made me feel like a complete failure. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang! I have it and am still waiting to read it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't care for this one either. I still love the cover tho! :) I was annoyed with Patch and Nora's choices too. Yep, you aren't the only one to feel this way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A non related comment, but I wanted to give you the Stylish Blogger Award. I wasn't sure if you accepted awards, but if not, then just my admiration for a very cool blog. Drop by my blog for award deets.

    Dana @ zombiegirlshambling.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the honest review here. I've had this one on my list since it came out. I will most likely still get it at some point in the future, but I like reading a review of some one who wasn't swept away with it like others. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to know that I wasn't the only one who didn't really like Patch! Will still read Crescendo though, and hope that Patch redeems himself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ditto on the not liking to jump on the band wagon. If it appeals to me, I read it. If not, I'm not going to pick it up just because EVERYONE else is. Anywho, as for this book...I really enjoyed it. Patch was suppose to be more of a tease than the good guy so I think that's where the reading world appeal came from for most (maybe). As for the second it's more of a head scratcher to be honest. It packs a lot into a little space so I might suggest having a notepad handy to jot keys points down because the "ending" (aka lead on to book 3) is a whopper.

    Yay for different reading tastes! The more the merrier....happy reading! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actaully like Patch & Nora. They were what I wanted out of Edward & Bella, who I couldn't stand. Are they perfect characters, no they aren't. But at least the storytelling was better than the dumb Twilight books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't jump on the bandwagon either. I've had this on my shelf since Fall of 2009. I still plan on reading it, just haven't got around to it yet. I've heard mixed reviews...some people love Patch, others hate him. I always take into consideration others' thoughts on books, but even if they hate it, I will usually read it anyway...just to form my own opinion. I always find it interesting to see if I will agree or disagree with them. It reminds me just how diverse individual opinions can be. Anyway, didn't mean to ramble. Great review...thanks for sharing your honest thoughts.

    By the way, can you tell me how you got those bulleted lists underneath each of your challenge buttons on your sidebar? I would love to do this on my challenge blog!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u